Sign in to follow this  
Logan005

Does your dome cause Image smear?

I have been upgrading old standard video dome housings with new SDI cameras. once I focus these new cameras and install them, I have had to re-pull several of them thinking they needed to be re-focused, but once I remove the dome cover, the image becomes perfect w/o re-focusing. Is this common? do I have cheap dome enclosures? they are nice quality aluminum type base with a polycarbonate dome. but the smear they cause is very distressing. anyone have any good recommendations? do they make real glass dome camera hardware? Thanks in advance Jim...

Yep just clean the polycarbonate dome with mild soapy water and dry with a terry or microfiber cloth.

Try not to leave fingerprints on the polycarbonate dome as they do have a tendency to hold natural oils from hands.

They also scratch easily of they are cheap.

I know this will sound patronizing but it isn't meant that way. Check to see if the protective film has been removed and don't feel stupid if there is still one on there because I have seen many cameras that still have their protective film attached mostly I am called out to these with the description the lens has some dark areas, whats happened the clear film has started to peel and has become dirty.

It's ridiculous I know but people often leave these protective films in place.

Thanks Numb-nutz, I did clean the dome inside and out. and I recorded a huge difference with and w/o the dome in place. If this is standard dome performance, I have to say I do not like dome cameras. At lease with SDI 1080 cameras, It's like reverting back to standard cameras. what a waste.

Yes to get the best out of a dome they need careful and regular cleaning. They suffer terribly from water spots and left untreated these can corrode the polycarbonate and become permanent. (this is a phenomenon I have noticed more and more as rain becomes more corrosive) Clean polycarbonate with mold soapy water and a CLEAN LINT-FREE CLOTH Never use a wash leather or Vileda

There are perspex cleaners on the market but repeated use results in fading.

I'm not keen on dome cameras myself but they have their place and uses. They are mostly not desined to be mounted on walls or vertical surfaces especially where the are not sheltered. If they are mounted the intended way you always get that gravity water spot.

You may have also noticed that this type of camera is often supplied with a cotton glove so that alone should indicate they require careful handling.

NEVER touch the inside (or outside) of a polycarbonate dome with bare hands or if you do clean it as soon as you can afterward

267246_1.jpg