Vik

Urgent help. How can I convert .snx files

Why the quality in the original files is so bad?

Is it the highest setting?

Thank you very much.

The quality is ok on this end. Perhaps there was loss on the upload/download. ??

My system has no options to change video resolution.

The system is a Uniden UDS655.

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-UDS655-Surveillance-Outdoor-Cameras/dp/B00AZUFYXS

I currently have (3) cameras setup. The cameras/monitor actually have a very nice quality pictures. It's just the options are very limited and the video software if very amateurish. I would expect much high quality software from a large company such as Uniden.

What's the technology behind this ?

What programming is inside the cameras and receiving units ???

If the videos are needed bad enough I'd try playing them and recording them with a camcorder. I did this one time years ago and remember the results weren't all that bad.

Al.

negrusti can you explain how to convert .SNX files to .asf? I try to convert but I can't.

Super simple

Obtain Sec24 Media Player, open your SNX file, click on Pause

go to the folder %AppData%\Sec24 Media Player (%AppData% refers to hidden AppData\Roaming folder in the User directory)

you will see a folder tempFile..., go into it

inside you will find .wav and .snx files, copy them into new directory

you can close Sec24 Media Player now

in the new directory, rename .snx files to .asf

open .asf files with VLC (Media Player might not play them out of the box)

What's the technology behind this ?

What programming is inside the cameras and receiving units ???

If the videos are needed bad enough I'd try playing them and recording them with a camcorder. I did this one time years ago and remember the results weren't all that bad.

Al.

Thanks for your reply Al.

The Uniden Media Player is absolute crap. Total garbage. Probably ok 20 years ago. Not user friendly in any sense of the word.

How would one use a camcorder to play the .SNX files ???

The Uniden Media Player is absolute crap. Total garbage. Probably ok 20 years ago. Not user friendly in any sense of the word.

How would one use a camcorder to play the .SNX files ???

Well, first you'd need to capture the video on the Camcorder by recording directly from the screen. I've used relatively small monitors which seem to work better than larger ones. It's crude but it works in a pinch and worth a try and decide if the final product is acceptable.

negrusti can you explain how to convert .SNX files to .asf? I try to convert but I can't.

Super simple

go to the folder %AppData%\Sec24 Media Player (%AppData% refers to hidden AppData\Roaming folder in the User directory)

Where's a safe download website that is not polluted with Malware, Trojans and Viruses.

All those websites with...... informer ...... in the address have ALL the above. Very dangerous.

In the meantime, I used my cellphone to record my security cameras monitor. Actually came out better than I expected and in a format that is usable. MP4. Only problem is finding a way to set up a recording device that is stable and can be used permanently. Suggestions ?

Anyways, here's a short video of my security monitor screen.

@negrusti... thx a lot for the tip. Works like a charm!

@Labrat0116... actually, Uniden Media Player is Sec24 Media Player or vice versa. In other words, follow negrusti's instructions, but look for AppData\Roaming\Uniden Media Player.

Super simple

Where's a safe download website that is not polluted with Malware, Trojans and Viruses.

All those websites with...... informer ...... in the address have ALL the above. Very dangerous.

Anyone have a Download link for the Sect24 Media Player that does NOT have a virus, trojan horse and/or malware ?????

Does anyone have any more info, done any more work or research on how to work with these files?  Has anything been done, at all???  I also was suckered into buying  a system that uses this file type and it's infuriating to see this kind of thing.  It's an embarrassment to everyone in the technical field and a huge middle finger to everyone in the marketplace.  What is wrong with the companies who do this?  That's rhetorical, but if you have the expertise, be a hero.  Don't think of it as helping them; help all who they victimized.  Please.

On 2/19/2016 at 1:18 AM, Labrat0116 said:

SEE ATTACHED PIC BELOW.

VLC failed to recognize the format after I did all the instructions noted above.

Now what ??

VLCVIDEOTEST.thumb.jpg.714ee0b67c0d9ede43325b26893b1978.jpg

On 3/15/2016 at 11:35 AM, Labrat0116 said:

Anybody ?

On 3/24/2016 at 4:42 PM, Labrat0116 said:

Any new info on how to open .SNX files ??

On 7/3/2016 at 2:46 AM, Labrat0116 said:

Bump

Still looking.....

Wow.. Well since no one put you out of your misery I guess I will (5 years too late lol). His instructions work, you just failed to notice that you're rather puzzlingly renaming empty 1kb files. How many video files do you know of that are 1kb mate haha?

Judging by your screenshot of the files and their sizes only Camera 1 was running while the other 3 were not. You renamed the wrong files as those cameras weren't even on lol. Hopefully you eventually figured out what you were doing wrong and renamed the video1.snx file to asf and played that in VLC. If you didn't then.. oh dear.. that's a bit embarrassing lol.

On 12/7/2020 at 4:17 AM, PersnOfIntrest said:

Does anyone have any more info, done any more work or research on how to work with these files?  Has anything been done, at all???  I also was suckered into buying  a system that uses this file type and it's infuriating to see this kind of thing.  It's an embarrassment to everyone in the technical field and a huge middle finger to everyone in the marketplace.  What is wrong with the companies who do this?  That's rhetorical, but if you have the expertise, be a hero.  Don't think of it as helping them; help all who they victimized.  Please.

Yup, very annoying that we have to go through all this. However did you read the thread above? The solution was posted and it does work. I've followed negrusti instructions twice now over the last few years on 2 different computers and it worked. Here's his post:

On 12/21/2015 at 11:15 PM, negrusti said:

Super simple

Also as others have posted Sec24 Meida Player is the same thing as Uniden Media Player.

Personally I found the temp files in my 'C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\Uniden Media Player' folder

I ignored the tiny files from my non-existant camera 3 and 4 and renamed the video 1 and 2 files to asf, and they play in VLC just fine.

3 hours ago, Blake00 said:

Wow.. Well since no one put you out of your misery I guess I will (5 years too late lol). His instructions work, you just failed to notice that you're rather puzzlingly renaming empty 1kb files. How many video files do you know of that are 1kb mate haha?

Judging by your screenshot of the files and their sizes only Camera 1 was running while the other 3 were not. You renamed the wrong files as those cameras weren't even on lol. Hopefully you eventually figured out what you were doing wrong and renamed the video1.snx file to asf and played that in VLC. If you didn't then.. oh dear.. that's a bit embarrassing lol. fine.

WOW ! Let me put you out of YOUR MISERY.

JUDGING by your words and snotty, uppity attitude. This clearly displays to the whole world that you are an ARROGANT, IMMATURE NARCISSIST. A severe Personality Disorder that most definitely has been brought to your attention many times in your life by your family, friends and strangers.

HOW EMBARRASSED you must feel now ! LMFAO ! Buy you most certainly won't feel embarrassed or shame since Narcissist don't have these emotions or humility. That would have you admit that there is ANY wrong with their Mental Health or personality at all ! You think YOU are above everyone else on this planet and are perfect in each and everyway !

Now go along little troll boy and have a Great Day ! MATE ! :>)