Sign in to follow this  
slayerbizkit

What's a good, cheap, stealthy setup for my house?

I basically want a setup to watch my front door, the mailbox, and the street in front of my house and have it stream to the internet via my home wifi network. Someone has been stealing my packages of mail(I'm already down $600). I believe it's someone in my building who doesn't like me, but before I jump to conclusions, I need evidence (could easily be lazy mailmen (or amazon flex workers, that kind of thing). I'll post pics of the areas I want to film. I own the building, so getting into hard-to-reach places is not an issue.

I'll post pics of the doors I want to surveillance. Camera should be small enough to be hidden(for door/mail surveillance). A big one is fine for the one that will watch the street.

295219_1.jpg

295219_2.jpg

295219_3.jpg

really small cameras that are "hidden" really limit your choices and functionality. Consider not hiding the camera at all. You want people to know there is a camera there as a deterant to theft. Realize that cameras only capture what has already happened. Your stuff is gone. You may or may not know who the theif was. Even if police catch the theif, your stuff may have already been pawned, sold, traded, etc.

really small cameras that are "hidden" really limit your choices and functionality. Consider not hiding the camera at all. You want people to know there is a camera there as a deterant to theft. Realize that cameras only capture what has already happened. Your stuff is gone. You may or may not know who the theif was. Even if police catch the theif, your stuff may have already been pawned, sold, traded, etc.

I had some time to sleep on it and you're right, a deterrent would be more wise. What do you guys suggest?

Slayer - where are you located and what is your budget?

I hate going with wireless cameras since you still need to get power to them. For a single camera solution, it may work though.

I hate going with wireless cameras since you still need to get power to them. For a single camera solution, it may work though.

I'm located in NYC. My budget, hmmm, I dunno. I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars(on second thought, I might consider it if the security system is 5-star and virtually indestructible by brute force means, show me a demo/video to convince me). I'm a disabled veteran, and I need this security system, at least in NYC, where it is tough to get legal help when your property is stolen/violated unless you have something to bring to the table (evidence) The Ringpro system sounds really good, if there's a way to secure the camera itself properly, I'm all ears. I'm probably going to have 2 of those cameras outside, one for each door. My biggest concern is with outside tampering of the camera. I don't want someone to be able to rip it off physically and destroy it before they do something shady, that's why I wanted them to be hidden in the first place, as to not be obvious and out of sight/ out of mind. As far as the power issue goes, if worse comes to worse, I can manually tap into my wires and juice the cameras but I'm at home most of the time so battery power running out isn't too much of a hassle to get around.

The 2 door cameras are priority #1. I also want to install a third camera on my first floor. I have a trouble tenant down there (I'm the building owner) and need to keep a close eye on him(very hard to evict in NYC, so this is the best I can do for now until the legal process is complete). The camera will film the hallway only, which is fine. That's another camera that I need to be robust/untamperable. All suggestions welcome.

I'm located in NYC. My budget, hmmm, I dunno. I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars(on second thought, I might consider it if the security system is 5-star and virtually indestructible by brute force means, show me a demo/video to convince me). I'm a disabled veteran, and I need this security system, at least in NYC, where it is tough to get legal help when your property is stolen/violated unless you have something to bring to the table (evidence) The Ringpro system sounds really good, if there's a way to secure the camera itself properly, I'm all ears. I'm probably going to have 2 of those cameras outside, one for each door. My biggest concern is with outside tampering of the camera. I don't want someone to be able to rip it off physically and destroy it before they do something shady, that's why I wanted them to be hidden in the first place, as to not be obvious and out of sight/ out of mind. As far as the power issue goes, if worse comes to worse, I can manually tap into my wires and juice the cameras but I'm at home most of the time so battery power running out isn't too much of a hassle to get around.

The 2 door cameras are priority #1. I also want to install a third camera on my first floor. I have a trouble tenant down there (I'm the building owner) and need to keep a close eye on him(very hard to evict in NYC, so this is the best I can do for now until the legal process is complete). The camera will film the hallway only, which is fine. That's another camera that I need to be robust/untamperable. All suggestions welcome.

I thought it was NYC that's why I asked. I used to do work out there while I was finishing up school. Check out LT Security - they have an office in Long Island and another in central Jersey. They rebrand Hikvision cameras/NVRs. Honestly, I found that just putting cameras is was a good deterrent but dome cams are a must in NYC. The bullet cams can get smacked pretty easily.

I would go with (3) Hikvision cameras and a 4 or 8 channel NVR. Stay away from battery powered systems. Ring pro is more of a video doorbell and not full fledged security system but it may work for you. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss.

Hi. I would give hikvision a miss. .... They are changing both software and hardware to stop the gray and copy units from China

All authorised distributors are sending existing stock back for the new more secure units.

You are best also staying away from dome cameras for your install and going for something like these and for the price and discount there is nothing close to the price for a plug and play system.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/cyber-week-specials/4-channel-hd-security-camera-system-with-ip-cameras/HDIP44D-1-p

Hi. I would give hikvision a miss. .... They are changing both software and hardware to stop the gray and copy units from China

All authorised distributors are sending existing stock back for the new more secure units.

You are best also staying away from dome cameras for your install and going for something like these and for the price and discount there is nothing close to the price for a plug and play system.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/cyber-week-specials/4-channel-hd-security-camera-system-with-ip-cameras/HDIP44D-1-p

I've seen this system in some grocery stores in my area. The deterrent to tampering was the height(placed on the ceiling + the presence of employees). For my house, at ground level, I'd imagine one could smack it with a stick or some kind of heavy tool and knock it out of commission. I really don't want to stick cameras on the front of my building 12 ft. in the air, there's a certain look I want my building to have (keeps the neighbors jealous ) . How resistance are these cameras to physical tampering?

They are much better than domes .... And they do lock into place.

The ones listed are small .

I can vouch for those turret style cameras as well. My parents place in Queens has 8 of those. I personally like domes once you figure out the intricacies of getting the dang IR seal to sit correctly.

As far as HIKVISION - change your default password and it's not s huge issue for 90% of people until the next firmware hack. Lol