Sign in to follow this  
Flechette

Attempting to get a license plate number from a recording

Hello,

First of all I have to say that I'm helpless at this point, a month ago my car was a subject of hit and run, since the first day I've done everything I could to find the one responsible. The car that did this was recorded by a wide angle outside camera, building administrator doesn't want to cooperate, the police didn't even bother to come down there to get any sort of statement, I had to beg for the recording and deliver it myself at a police department, which is a complete joke. Here is living in Poland for you. I hope that law enforcement is better elsewhere. Anyway, enough of me ranting on. At this point police officer has told me that based on the info I've provided them, they can tell it was the car from the recording that did this (even though my car is out of camera's reach, but it's kinda obvious what happened), and all they need is a license plate number, at least the beginning of it to get to the suspect. I know that the world we live in is not CSI where you smack the keyboard a few times and a perfect high definition detail comes up. There are some terrific forensic experts out there that probably would be able to help me though, if not, I will have to bite the bullet and buy a new door myself, leaving the perpetrator without any consequences.

Just look at this, my car is ruined!

296523_1.jpg

296523_2.jpg

Here is what I know about the security footage, it's in some CCTV format consisting of two files with formats of ".rmi" and ".rms". Apparently it's for security and the file is supposed to be encrypted. I found it plays best in a program called "BackupViewer RMS". There is 8 hours of recording in that file, the suspect can be seen 3 times, but the license plate can be seen most clearly only at a one time, where the suspect dropped a kid off in front of the garage, then backed up and hit my car.

This is the original folder as I got it from a kind security officer on a pendrive: http://frozenhaxor.pl/Monitoring.zip

Better playback program for the original file: http://frozenhaxor.pl/BackupViewer_RMS.zip

This is my recording of the player with Fraps to get a playable avi file format, also short and small in size: http://frozenhaxor.pl/fraps_recording.zip

The suspect car can be seen at at 12:24 leaving the garage, then coming back at 16:18, hitting my car when backing up, leaving, then coming back 15 minutes later to the garage at 16:33.

The license plate can be seen best at 16:18 as he backs up just before hitting my car.

This is the car that hit my car:

296523_1.png

I really hope someone could perhaps help me with this, maybe point me in a right direction on what kind of software to use. I have tried Focus magic but I don't really know how to use it properly. If you have any experience with this, please help. I'll be forever in your debt.

Thank you!

Edited by Guest

A forensic expert has gotten it out for me, turned out to be WW781XL and Police has confirmed it to be correct.

This topic can be closed.