Hasindu

CCTV file formats

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me examples of various data file formats available for CCTV. It depends on the DVR yes?

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me examples of various data file formats available for CCTV. It depends on the DVR yes?

Different file formats that video is exported to or the files that the unit actually write to the drive when it records?

Dvr's typically record in a .mov , .avi , .divx , and .mpg file formats as the backup footage that the units export. Now when it comes to the recording that the units usually record to the drive directly it's proprietary file formats that I've always seen, meaning you're not able to take the hdd out place it into a computer and it show you a bunch of movie files.

Your questions a little vague but I answered best I could, let me know a little more specifically what you're looking to know if you can please.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

I was reading your response to this post and have a question that you might be able to answer for me.

You mentioned that "when it comes to the recording that the units usually record to the drive directly it's proprietary file formats that I've always seen, meaning you're not able to take the hdd out place it into a computer and it show you a bunch of movie files."

The problem I have is that my security dvr cleared the drive when the drive was full.....although it was not supposed to. However, I pulled the hard drive out of the DVR as soon as I saw what happened. Only 1 % of the drive had been used up when it started recording from the beinging again.

I know the format of the drive is not recognized when you hook it up to a PC but I have a program "R-Studio" that recognizes any drive regardless of format and recovers all files it finds.

Now I have recovered all files from the drive but I can not view the videos as you have indicated they are proprietery formats.

Since the remote DVR viewer I have for my unit only lets me play back files if I connect to the DVR unit and am not able to point it to anywhere else I am stuck with how to view the files that I recovered from the hard drive.....as there is some stuff I need to save from what was recorded.

Can you help me solve this problem.

Thanks,

KC

Does your dvr have the capability to record to cd or dvd, is there a player that is also recorded to the cd/dvd? Most client software that I have used has the ability to play files on the computer that it is saved to, which allows you to playback from saved files.

my problem is i remove the HDD or Hard drive in my surveillance dvr in i put the HDD on my PC .. the files are so weird, the video has a format of stream file ..

does any body how to read it into video format or avi??

please help me .. kindly email me at

iamryezkie@ymail.com

thanks for feedback!

my DVR (VISTA VC16Te CDR) records in wavelets. it has a CD recorder but all that does is exports files and the software. i can view the live and recorded images on my pc using the software but to play them on a DVD player, i have to use a screen recorder with the software.

my problem is i remove the HDD or Hard drive in my surveillance dvr in i put the HDD on my PC .. the files are so weird, the video has a format of stream file ..

does any body how to read it into video format or avi??

Usually these DVRs have their file system records or operating system and codecs, etc, on an embedded chip on the DVR mother board. If you take out the hard disk you have unreadable garbage.

You have to us the "export" function to output the video files to a CD or USB stick.

Then you have video files in another bizarre format, but in this case, the manufacturer will provide a special software player.

This online tool is useful for telling you the file format, and which player to use:

http://www.kinesense-vca.com/tools/vid-id.html