vk3mnm

IR filter cut problem

Giday guys i,m new to the site

Illya is my name

I have a problem with 2 cctv cameras that i have they are IR day night cameras the problem i,m having is at night on my property its almost pitch black, just star light most nights, the problem seems to be possibly something to do with the IR cut filter switching in and out, the IR light level from the camera seems to be very dull but after a min or two it switches and goes bright the difference being like having dark sun glasses on while driving at night and then taking them off and turning on a flood light, it seems to be dull for 1 or 2 min then goes bright for maybe 20 to 30 second then switches back again?

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Its not the power supply

There are no bright lights around

Its got me stumped?

Raju is my name

I have a problem with 2 cctv cameras that i have they are IR day night cameras the problem i,m having is at night on my property its almost pitch black, just star light most nights, the problem seems to be possibly something to do with the IR cut filter switching in and out, the IR light level from the camera seems to be very dull but after a min or two it switches and goes bright the difference being like having dark sun glasses on while driving at night and then taking them off and turning on a flood light, it seems to be dull for 1 or 2 min then goes bright for maybe 20 to 30 second then switches back again?

Its not the power supply

Its got me stumped?

It seems like the CDs sensor on the camera is bad.

Were they like that out of the box?

It seems like the CDs sensor on the camera is bad.

Were they like that out of the box?

Yea i had sent the first two back and they sent me two new ones and they are still doing the same thing, i guess buying from Taiwan is just a bad move.

Yeah, I've had some bad ones myself. I know not all Taiwanese products are bad, though.

By the way, if previous ones had the same problem, it might have something to do with the environment, too. Have you bench-tested them?

What technology for switching CDS or video based? I have seen something like this with cheap CDS based mechanical filters. Like you said, the filter switches off at night, then the reflection of the IR light hits the sensor and switches the filter back on. It will continue to do this all night... you mentioned Taiwan, I bet that those cameras are Chinese Mate!

What type of power 12vdc and 24vac? How long are the runs? What is the amp draw for the camera's and what is the amps at the power supply?

What type of power 12vdc and 24vac? How long are the runs? What is the amp draw for the camera's and what is the amps at the power supply?

Problem sorted guys it was because i was running a 20 meter lead and the voltage or current loss was way too much for the camera to run on, 12 volt and the lead was from radio parts so maybe i should look at getting better quality cable, i feel like a goose as this has been busting my chops for a long time now, i didn't even think about current loss over the 20 meter run

For now i have an extension lead and a 2 amp 12 volt plug pack direct to the camera.

Raju is my name

Its not the power supply

Its got me stumped?

????

What technology for switching CDS or video based? I have seen something like this with cheap CDS based mechanical filters. Like you said, the filter switches off at night, then the reflection of the IR light hits the sensor and switches the filter back on. It will continue to do this all night... you mentioned Taiwan, I bet that those cameras are Chinese Mate!

Mate the problem is sorted now and i have to admit i feel rather stupid for not finding the problem sooner, the cameras are fantastic now that they are working properly and the power of the IRs at night is unbelievable.

Thanks for the input guys!

Us newbies would be lost without yuz

Ive recently had some EX82'a do this, it was bad photocells.

Other than the photocell, light in the area can cause it to switch back and forth, or reflection of its own IR onto a close reflective surface can cause it to switch as well.