cctv.dvr

whats the best way to integrate POS system with DVR

what do you think is the best way to integrate NewPOS pos system to a DVR system...

do you have tips..

lets talk general ... i mean any dvr models

thanks for the tips... waiting for your advice

start with;

- end result & expectations based on POS information collected

- bang for buck...do you need high end data collection or just text over video?

- POS interface? text over video is basic printer output conversion onto video and can be recorded by any DVR. POS data collection involves integrating a DVR with a manufactures POS software/hardware and can be expensive.

I guess my point is, what do you want from POS.the end result? Start there. After you figure that out then you can narrow or expand your DVR/manufacture search.

I've installed the text overlay which has proven to be extremely useful. I've kept it simple since most Owners don't have the time to dive into the POS information available.unless they have management to do it for them.

just got in.brain is wiped from today...........and I can't remember the manufacture...........dang. it's a simple box that takes the printer output and overlays it on the video camera...records the pic and text. I'll get back to you on this as I'm beat and need to sleep.

twas at a USMC league meeting tonight.............semper

just got in.brain is wiped from today...........and I can't remember the manufacture...........dang. it's a simple box that takes the printer output and overlays it on the video camera...records the pic and text. I'll get back to you on this as I'm beat and need to sleep.

VST_Man, could you be referring to AVE by any chance? http://www.americanvideoequipment.com/

start with;

- end result & expectations based on POS information collected

- bang for buck...do you need high end data collection or just text over video?

- POS interface? text over video is basic printer output conversion onto video and can be recorded by any DVR. POS data collection involves integrating a DVR with a manufactures POS software/hardware and can be expensive.

I guess my point is, what do you want from POS.the end result? Start there. After you figure that out then you can narrow or expand your DVR/manufacture search.

I've installed the text overlay which has proven to be extremely useful. I've kept it simple since most Owners don't have the time to dive into the POS information available.unless they have management to do it for them.

To prevent , items from going outside the cash register even though its not 'punched' by the cashier

As a side note, using a text overlay on video for 'integrating' POS has significant limitations. Many video management systems today allow for the POS information to be 'tagged' and recorded in a database. This provides the benefit of allowing alerts and searches to be done from your video management system (i.e., send me an email if a void occurs or bring it all transactions over $100). The downside is that doing this integration can be challenging because your video management system vendor must support your POS vendor.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, I am happy to comment more.

VSI Pro from AVE.

What POS System are you interfacing with?

NewPOS POS system to any DVR systems

If it is new POS system, then a protocol must be written. This goes for AVE and all others. Even if it is using serial, the text inserter or POS interface software must know how to read and understand the data. The time this will take depends on three things:

1. Is the data IP or serial

2. The difficulty of the text being generated by the POS

3. The availability and technical level of the POS company creating the Protocol that goes into the text box or POS interface software

We’ve done interfaces in as little as two days, and others that have taken as long as two weeks.

sorry.been busy here. It's VSI Pro....connects to the printer output and then is inserted into the video on the video cable of the camera. works great, takes a beating.been running several for 2 years and longer.

Well, I see a true integration as more a useable solution for POS. For instance, what if you needed to look up all the no sales done by a particular user? Or, if you wanted to see if your employee is carding everyone they need to when alcohol or tobacco is sold? The overlays can give you this information -if- you are willing to watch hours on hours of video. There is a better way. Systems made by companies such as 3xLogic can do this by giving you direct links to video based upon search parameters. (ie, cigarettes, beer, etc.) Basically any of the information that the register spits out is now a searchable field. Even features such as Boolean seaches. (greater than, less than, or equal to)

Example: I want to see every time the register is opened for no reason or no sales, you can do a search for 'no-sales' in which it brings a list of videos that you can click and watch while skipping everything else in between.

This is a real time saver for loss prevention personel and managers. It even works in scenarios such as a guy that left his wallet on the counter while paying for a canday bar only to come back and hour later and it is now gone. The manager can do a search based on the items he purchased, find him in the video, then initiate a smart search based on the item (wallet in this case) that was left on the counter. When his wallet is moved or that area has any pixel change, that video is brought up that can now be viewed. It's really a powerful tool.

Erron S.

There are three types of POS Integration..and they are vastly different...

1/Data Text Overlay

2/ Data box capture

3/ Database conversion

They are extreemly different...let me know which type you are looking at and i will give you some more information...I know a lot about this kind of thing

what do you think is the best way to integrate NewPOS pos system to a DVR system...

do you have tips..

lets talk general ... i mean any dvr models

thanks for the tips... waiting for your advice

You don't really need to develop your SDK,

it takes a lot of time and work.

some DVR manufacture has already intergrate their DVR with POS or biometric access control . For exsmaple: I-view Inc.