rhome

Gymnastics Video Training System -- SUGGESTIONS REQUESTED

A gymnastics gym I am associated with is thinking about installing a video training system and I am thinking that video surveillance systems might do the trick. The basic use of such a system is for a gymnast to practice a skill or sequence on an apparatus, and then view a monitor mounted on the gym wall to view themselves performing the skill or sequence for instant visual feedback (playback set to 30 second delay). It also would be nice to be able to manually play back the performance, play in slow motion, etc. all while still recording live.

Here are some suggested operational requirements:

--multiple video cameras pointed at different apparatus (e.g. one pointed at the Still Rings, one at the Vault, etc.);

--feed from cameras play at 30 second delay on associated flat panel monitor hung on the wall of the gym;

--video recorded at central point, e.g. computer located at gym office

--video may be rewound and replayed for viewing on the monitor, but live video still being recorded.

Here are some desired characteristics of the video camera:

--zoom, pan, scan to change the field of view

--high definition images (at least 720p, if not 1080)

--high speed (at least 30 fps) for clear slow motion playback

The simplest version of this, for a single system, is a TiVo connected to a video camera and TV. But I'm looking for something a little more flexible for multiple such systems tied together. The Logitech Alert system seems promising, but it is only 15 fps, and it is unclear whether it would be able to output time delayed signals to the TV monitors or provide easy playback.

Your help in figuring out this conundrum would be sincerely appreciated.

I think you have a good idea going with the PVR option, I happen to be a fan of open source and with some tweaking MythTV (www.mythtv.org) might work.

With a few analog capture cards you could get control (and manually) set a delay and provide playback.

Its a DIY option but the people putting it together have lots of information on how to fine tune it.

If this is a route you would consider, let me know... I have plenty more ideas to get the most of the system.

I think the DIY PVR route might be your best bet, as CCTV systems aren't really designed for the time-shifting like this. Some have something close - the Vigils we use, for instance, have a "Quick-search" option where you can right-click a camera view, select Quick Search, and go back one, five, or ten minutes.

As far as framerates, keep in mind that standard NTSC analog cameras will be limited to 30fps *max* by the NTSC spec itself. I'm not aware of any IP or SDI cameras that go beyond that either, although I'm sure a couple exist... but they won't be cheap.

Hello. I'm looking for something similar for sporting events where one object is to be tracked. I do not require the replay feature, only recording, but I'm looking for something with smooth panning. Many of the demo videos I've seen has very jarring movements - even when someone is moving at a constant speed, the camera doesn't pan in a smooth fashion. This is would be rather annoying when trying to observe a performance or a routine.

Were you able to come up with a solution and if so, what type of camera worked for you?

Hello. I'm looking for something similar for sporting events where one object is to be tracked. I do not require the replay feature, only recording, but I'm looking for something with smooth panning. Many of the demo videos I've seen has very jarring movements - even when someone is moving at a constant speed, the camera doesn't pan in a smooth fashion. This is would be rather annoying when trying to observe a performance or a routine.

Were you able to come up with a solution and if so, what type of camera worked for you?

You would probably be better with a fluid head tan tilt setup for video. Markertek.com has a few setups that might be able to provide the speed and motion you are looking for.

I know this post is a few years old but thought I would check to see if anybody has come up with a solution for this. I am looking to build a solution for the exact same requirements. I am currently using an HD camera, an old TIVO (compositite only unfortunately) with a HD TV. Unfortunately, because of the inputs on the tivo, any HD is downgraded to composite quality. I'm looking for something to replace my TIVO with that will allow me to use high definition. Any thoughts? I thought maybe a security system but can't find one with good enough frame rates as I need to do a 30 second playback and slow motion preferably. Thanks in advance.

For my daughters gymnastics gym, I've successfully setup an old Tivo (analog), with a video camera source (HDMI) to an HDMI capable TV. As you know, my picture is limited to analog because of the older Tivo that doesn't support HDMI in. So, now it's 2017, is there any replacement for my old analog TiVo system that will accept HDMI as an input? Thanks for your thoughts. I'm after the instant video delayed replay playback, that's what works for our gym.