Guys, please stay on topic, this is coax vs cat5 not coax vs IP!

There are hundreds of threads on that already.

Thanks

It's tough to discuss one without straying into the other.

Soundy, I was avoiding bringing up baluns, all very good points.

General consensus seems to be 4 twisted pairs in a single jacket offers a lot more opportunities than a single wire with a conductive shield. To each his own though, do what you're comfortable with, It's not like there's a right or wrong way.

my opinion... is rg59 if terminated correctly, if not you will have some interference. also a plus is having a power box with it... cheaper to install my opinion and easier.... just my 2 sense.

compression fittings, nice pair of strippers and you are good to go.

Everyone has a preference for which is easier to install and work with... which is more available... which may have measurable (if not visible) quality differences... etc. etc.

One thing is indisputable, though: UTP gives you far more options, but at the time of install, and in the future.

Everyone has a preference for which is easier to install and work with... which is more available... which may have measurable (if not visible) quality differences... etc. etc.

One thing is indisputable, though: UTP gives you far more options, but at the time of install, and in the future.

Agreed " title="Applause" />

Hi everyone.

this is a first post and I am sort of in the same boat. I live in a bungalow and want to install a camera at each corner of the building and be able to watch it on the tv in the living room as well as be able to record and back up from a period in the past.

do I go ip camera / cloud or 1080p camera and dvr? if so what best cable to use. coax or cat 5, and how to get 4 camera cables to the box in the living room. Do I route them outside and drill inward somewhere near the tv ?

I would like to install this myself if possible.

thanks for all / any help.