View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Is it possible to stay "invisible" i.e. freeze CCTV image?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:23 pm 

Hello,

The issue I came here last years is still not resolved (someone still visiting our house for fun, despite of the complex security). We really devoted (and wasted) so much energy on this issue, so I'd like to ask only a single question here. (Please, don't try to help generally; or if you wish, I can dig up the old thread we posted here with my wife long ago, I have the whole issue described there.)

So, facts are: we are 100% sure that someone enters our house approx. once per month (when we are away for night). We guess who he is (a former friend with military past who couldn't accept we ceased contact with him after he stole from us). He wants to harass us. We have modern cameras and alarm system, yet he is "invisible" on the recordings -- he leaves signs inside the house, but the outdoor recordings don't show anything.

A policeman told us it's possible to "freeze" CCTV image by manipulating the voltage in the electric network. Is this possible? As I said, there are no black parts or missing timestamps in the recordings (only the hourly files are broken sometimes to two pieces, but timestamp continues properly in the second file). Is it possible that he (or his assistant) freezes the image for a few seconds while he reaches the next hideout (e.g. a bush in our garden), and thus slowly reaches the front door? (which he lockpicks -- we found lockpicking traces). Is it possible to "freeze" CCTV via manipulating the voltage in electrical network?

Thanks a lot,

P.S.: if you think this is some scam (like last time someone asked), then I can just say that I don't wish the same nightmare for you to be experienced.

Post subject: Re: Is it possible to stay "invisible" i.e. freeze CCTV imag
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:49 am 
Integrator

Hi. manipulating some basic DVRs is not a problem. but he would need to have access to it when in house or have remote access to it via mobile software to stop and start recording.

either way he would need to know your system and if he has been in your home then he will.

first thing I would do is swap your dvr.

sounds like your system does not have watermark or electronic signature.

new DVR with a NEW DDNS service is your first place to start.

also like in your other post I would install a GJD sensor inside by your front door where he enters and have that switch on your home light at front door area.

with it all being new equipment he will not get passed it (as he does not know)

also NEXT dvr look for watermark or electronic signature

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:03 pm 

ThomasSmith wrote:
A policeman told us it's possible to "freeze" CCTV image by manipulating the voltage in the electric network. Is this possible? Is it possible to "freeze" CCTV via manipulating the voltage in electrical network?

Wow, so not only can you feed camera images over the power lines, but you can manipulate them, too?!?!?! Astounding!!! :D

Arthur C. Clarke wrote:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I agree with the new DVR suggestion, but you might try leaving the existing one intact as a decoy. Maybe hide a new camera pointed right at the old DVR, or the place where he leaves his little signs, or the door with the picked lock. You might also have a friend with a shotgun hide inside your house once a month when you go out; maybe he will catch your prowler in the act. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:51 am 

He might be disrupting the electricity to the DVR by tampering with an outside breaker box. I'd install a backup battery with a built in voltage regulator. And don't use infrared illuminator cameras. Use intensifier instead. The camera will look like it is off but still recording.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:18 am 

If he turns the power off and on from the outside breaker. The dvr will take 20 seconds to reboot. He can reboot again before he leaves. You would not notice anything unless you look really hard for a 20 second skip of time. There would be no black spots just a jump in the time. Which could explain why your file is broken.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:47 pm 

[See the screenshot]

The issue is still not solved, but after an RFID entry system was installed to the main entrance, there was no intrusion for 9 months. Recently, however, they broke again to our house when we were on holiday. Nothing was stolen, just the usual traces that say: "We were in! We did it again!".

As always, video recordings show nothing suspicious (no intruder outdoors). We didn't leave hidden cameras indoors, because we thought the stalking was over (9 months is a long time).

I attached CCTV DVR log screenshot. Is this normal that DVR has TimeChanged events? Anything suspicious on the log? Sorry, I'm no expert in this.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please sign-in or register to view or download.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:35 pm 

ThomasSmith wrote:
[See the screenshot]

The issue is still not solved, but after an RFID entry system was installed to the main entrance, there was no intrusion for 9 months. Recently, however, they broke again to our house when we were on holiday. Nothing was stolen, just the usual traces that say: "We were in! We did it again!".

As always, video recordings show nothing suspicious (no intruder outdoors). We didn't leave hidden cameras indoors, because we thought the stalking was over (9 months is a long time).

I attached CCTV DVR log screenshot. Is this normal that DVR has TimeChanged events? Anything suspicious on the log? Sorry, I'm no expert in this.

From your log, it seems like this is could be what the intruder did.
After coming into your house, e.g. 5.23pm and exit out at 5.33, the intruder changed the time of your DVR so that it become 5.23pm again, in effectively overwriting the 10 mins of recording when he's present in the house. That might be how he cover his track.
But then again, I'm not familiar with how this system log down events and what exactly each event specific, it could be just the timing chip is lousy and the system keep updating the time from NTP server.

It's NOT normal to have so much time change event in your DVR. Either someone keep messing around with the time of your system, or your system have a really lousy timing cheap that cannot keep accurate time and keep getting NTP update to keep the time accurate. I've seen that in some cheap system or some batch of branded DVR that happens to use a batch of bad timing chip.

It's also not normal to have Disk Over/Shutdown/Reboot happening. The word "Abnormal" at no. 70 should give you some indication. Either there is something wrong with the hardware of this system, or the configuration is mess up, or someone is messing around with this system.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:40 pm 

Cheapest way to do it.

Get a dashboard cam, set it up for motion sensor recording.

Install it with a view of your DVR or your main door and conceal it.

If you suspect any intrusion when you where gone, check the recording of the dashboard cam when you are back.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:41 pm 

Daryl733 wrote:
Cheapest way to do it.

Get a dashboard cam, set it up for motion sensor recording.

Install it with a view of your DVR or your main door and conceal it.

If you suspect any intrusion when you where gone, check the recording of the dashboard cam when you are back.

+1

Don't start trying to fix a problem you haven't identified yet. You have your suspicions and they're probably right, but what if they aren't? I was going to suggest a trail camera personally. They aren't thought of as concealable, but there's a hundred ways to them, especially around a home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:49 pm 

Your time log shows a very obvious problem. Lines 72 and 64. Login from "user: default" directly from the GUI. In this case the GUI means whoever logged in was standing in front of the DVR and had the username and the password. After logging in, they made several modifications which then required that the DVR reboot in order to make those changes. Then they did it again.

If you're telling us that you weren't home at this date and time, then someone else was standing at DVR making changes to it. Not outside messing with power cable, not aliens...just breaking and entering...and then tampering.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:42 am 

The "user default logged in with GUI" is normal; we realized it happens after the DVR reboots (default user is itself the DVR).

About abnormal shutdowns: the power supply had issues (I suppose this is why its clock had issues). It died a few days ago. We bought a new one, and an UPS as well. We have set camera time properly as well.

But power supplies have died surprisingly fast in our house in the recent 4 years. The manufacturer (Paradox) of alarm system will also check the device, because it had very unusual symptoms (gibberish in user interface, alarm activated after accepted PIN code) before we finally turned it off last year.

We changed the code of the tags of the RFID entry system as well. (There was no suspicious entry in the log in the past half year, unfortunately.)

We were thinking to this, but a friend said it costs $15K to buy such a device, and it's not easy:
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sps32/ECRYPT2011_1.pdf

We shall see what Paradox finds in the early-died alarm system.

No, there is no secret tunnel under our house.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:47 am 

Also we were thinking to these, but the friend that it's very expensive and if they had used, it would have affected all other houses in the neighborhood too, causing issues with other electrical devices in households etc.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.js ... %3D6855584

http://www.newae.com/sidechannel/cwdocs ... litch.html

I'm sorry for partially off-topic post, I know this is CCTV forum, but your advice is very useful, thank you, we have no idea where else to ask.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:20 pm 

Have the Wireless camera setup with the back up battery and let the recording saved on your server .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:57 am 
Installer

I noticed you said you used "Intensifier" cameras. I have a couple of those on an encoder and the rest of my cameras are IP Mega Pixel. I noticed in extremely low light the Mega Pixel cameras will pickup people in the scene but the intensifiers will pick up nothing.

Just be aware.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:33 am 

We have only used the intensifier 1 time and have not been happy with them. We can get really good night vision but all movement is "ghosted". If we lower the intensifier so that we dont lose the movement the image quality is not good. I have talked to a few people and none have found a set up that allows both.

Have you found a low/no light camera that you really like?

ssmith10pn wrote:
I noticed you said you used "Intensifier" cameras. I have a couple of those on an encoder and the rest of my cameras are IP Mega Pixel. I noticed in extremely low light the Mega Pixel cameras will pickup people in the scene but the intensifiers will pick up nothing.

Just be aware.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next