Vik

Urgent help. How can I convert .snx files

Hi

I have recorded critical CCTV footage using the Response CWD2 camera but unable to play it unless I use Sec24 player. I really need to convert the files from .SNX format to avi or other.

I think .SNX is Sonex or Sonix Technology.

I contacted Response/Friedland who make the camera on 01252 451 632 who were unable to help. They said convertors exist but couldnt help me.

I have spent hours trying to find a program to convert .SNX files but cant.

My last resort is you clever people

There is no such thing as a converter. I have been through 10 programs alleged to open and convert these files and all have crashed. I have also had Swann Communications tell me its such a new format that no such software exists! I can trace it back to 1982 in its various incarnations!

I now have a brand new boat anchor that is totally useless for providing footage to the police and for a court case, and there was no warning on the box that the format used was not Windows Media Player compatible.

The SWADW340 Pro Series system is a waste of money and a rip-off if you need critical footage! They couldn't even provide the correct RCA cable in the box to try and work around the problem in a home theatre situation! Their help line is an embarrassment!

Shame on you Swann!

I also got the Sec 24 Media Player. It´s really a mess. You cannot convert the snx-files. The programme chrashes frequently using Windows 8 or 8.1 You even cannot zoom nothing with 24 Media Player. You only can watch the small videos. I spent hours searching for any converting solution.

I guess the only way is to take a lot of screenshot and try to zoom the important scenes. But they won´t show the original record date and time.

I just bought a Uniden Security Camera system. Uniden's Media Player utilizes .SNX format.

The Uniden Media player just downright sucks.

Is there yet a Video Converter that converts .snx files into a more user friendly format ?

I just bought a Uniden Security Camera system. Uniden's Media Player utilizes .SNX format.

Is there yet a Video Converter that converts .snx files into a more user friendly format ?

Return that junk...

Return that junk...

Too late. The Cameras are all mounted and setup. To big a PITA to redo it all.

Is there ANY other media player that will play .SNX files or any program that will convert it into a useable format ?

Return that junk...

Too late. The Cameras are all mounted and setup. To big a PITA to redo it all.

Is there ANY other media player that will play .SNX files or any program that will convert it into a useable format ?

its going to be a bigger PITA when the system proves useless to you...its a proprietary format and you are unlikely going to find a converter.

its going to be a bigger PITA when the system proves useless to you...its a proprietary format and you are unlikely going to find a converter.
It's usable as it is now, but not very user friendly and seriously lacks features.

Hopefully, someone can come up with a converter or a Medial player that can play this format. Can't be rocket science even if it is proprietary.

Perhaps I should ask this question.

What other wireless systems can utilize my wireless Uniden cameras ?

Surely, there is something out there that can capture and use their signals.

The receiver determines the format... correct ???

Edited by Guest

It's usable as it is now, but not very user friendly and seriously lacks features.

Hopefully, someone can come up with a converter or a Medial player that can play this format. Can't be rocket science even if it is proprietary.

Not going to happen. There are not enough users to make it worthwhile.

Not going to happen. There are not enough users to make it worthwhile.

I understand that. I was typying my next question above as you replied here.

What other systems can utilize my wireless camera signals ??

Perhaps I should ask this question.

What other wireless systems can utilize my wireless Uniden cameras ?

Surely, there is something out there that can capture and use their signals.

The receiver determines the format... correct ???

Likely none...the uniden type systems a locked down and proprietary....they are not meant to be integrated with other systems..

Likely none...the uniden type systems a locked down and proprietary....they are not meant to be integrated with other systems..
What's the technology behind this ?

What programming is inside the cameras and receiving units ???

I took a look at the structure of SNX files and ready to write a a converter on the cheap that will output separate MP4 files, one per channel.

Upon a further investigation, I can see that SNX are actually standard ASF format files with multiple video streams. Writing a converter is not even necessary, can use existing tools.

I took a look at the structure of SNX files and ready to write a a converter on the cheap that will output separate MP4 files, one per channel.
Cool!

Let me know how it comes out!

Labrat0116 (AT) gmail.com

Upon a further investigation, I can see that SNX are actually standard ASF format files with multiple video streams..., can use existing tools.
What tools ?

What would you suggest ??

I just now tried Windows Media Player....tried opening (All file types) and it did not see any files. I tried using the option (.asf files) and nothing there either.

I said something about a Codec was not installed. ??

What Codec do I need ?

If you have single-camera SNX files, just rename them into .asf and they will play fine with VLC player. Codec is MP4, therefore Windows Media Player (being the lousiest of them all) does not play it out of the box.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/316992

If you have multi-camera SNX files, can I have a sample please?

Ok, I just renamed a .snx file to .asf and tried both the VLC player and Window Medial player. Both unsuccessful and both said something about codecs no available. ??

What are the right codecs and where can I download them.

I'm currently looking for a way to upload a 16MB .snx file for you. I'll post it when I find a place to host it.

Ok, I uploaded (2) files to my Google Drive. The .asf file I renamed and a .snx file. Both are 17 MB each.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxIk-qhp2ganbjE0RndNZkNQeW8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxIk-qhp2ganZ3QzeVZiUXVkYkk/view?usp=sharing

This is good file showing some cops checking out a suspicious vehicle in the alley next to our house.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxIk-qhp2ganak95Qlc3a3NJeDA/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Guest

Your multi-camera files are of ASF container type as well, but codec is marked as SNX, let me see what I can do about it.

Your multi-camera files are of ASF container type as well, but codec is marked as SNX, let me see what I can do about it.
Much appreciated!

Check out the other file (with the cops) I just uploaded.