Sign in to follow this  
jasauders

Has anybody utilized IPCam Viewer Pro or TinyCam Pro as NVR?

Hello friends. I was reading some random search results last night and found an interesting post. It talked about how a super cheap way to incorporate a low scale DIY CCTV system is to utilize an old tablet and a wireless camera. The tablet itself basically acts as the NVR thanks to the app in question, IPCam Viewer Pro. Further research suggested that TinyCam Pro has similar capability.

Basically the pro versions of these apps sound like they have motion detect capability and all of that fun stuff. It makes me wonder how 'good' it is. I plan to fire up a little test setup sometime soon on a spare desktop at home with Android X86 to see how far I can take this.

I know it sounds a little crazy and I know the wireless cam comment already has people doubting it (myself included), but I just can't help but to think that this might be an incredible thing assuming it works fabulously - something I have yet to confirm.

I'm envisioning a little quad core Android stick with an ethernet port or some sort of low powered computer with Android X86 running on it along with one of the above mentioned apps. Everything hard wired. If the motion detect of the app is great and the recording features work in a predictable manner, this could be a wickedly awesome low cost solution for users. I still have an extreme amount of doubt since a wild number of uses I THOUGHT tablets would be great for inevitably fell short very short of what a true laptop or desktop is capable of. But still... I wonder...

So with that said given that I won't be home for quite a number of hours yet, I figured I'd post here to see if anybody has recently attempted this and what their results may have been. Any thoughts?