flyingllama87

Extracting data off Hikvision DVR?

Hi guys,

First time posting & don't know a great deal about DVRs/CCTV sorry. I'm an IT technician and one of our clients needs to get all footage of their 'HikVision' DVR for submission in an insurance claim.

The model starts with DS-7216 (I don't have the rest of it at the moment sorry).

The client ran into trouble with it because you can only export 4000 'shots' at a time to an external USB drive. It'd take about a day to sit there and export them all so they gave it to us hoping for a faster way.

This is a DVR with network access and I was wondering if it's possible to export video/pictures remotely and if so, export more than 4000. Apparently it's possible with the iVMS software but the documentation isn't great - i'm also worried I'll run into the 4000 max selection limit.

The 'Hik Vision' DVRs are apparently linux embedded OSes but the file systems aren't any of the common linux file systems. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area? If we can get a sample file or information on the file structure we can extract the data that way.

I'm thinking there are two ways at the moment: 1) Use the SDK/API to download the images (some one else has overcome the 4000 export limit using the SDK/API but the script doesn't do what I want) or 2) Sit there and export them all.

Any one know of any software or methods to do this?

tl;dr version: How to export all data off HikVision DVR in format readable by Windows OS or other common OS.

Kind regards,

Morgan

Hmm you can try using the toolset to download remotely, not sure if it will have that 4000 shot error.

http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/en_us/page/Platinum_download.html

Go to the download called "Platinum Toolset" all the way on the bottom and download that.

Once you install it, there is an tool called Remote backup. After you click on that, click on setting then devices to add the DVR. After you added the devices, Click on Manual then select the camera you want to download the data.

Hikvision has this toolset too but I can't find it on their site for some reason. This platinum one will work just find though.

Click on Help then click on User manual for more details, its fairly new and we only know the overview of it. I'll try it out today and see how it works exactly.

Dear milkisbad,

You are the man! That tool works a treat - no 4000 result limit! It's exporting now. The only downside & likely not a software limitation is that the export only happens at 2MB/s average. The export will take ages but at least it can sit there exporting the data instead of having to be attended to.

PM me with your paypal and I'll deposit $15 in to it or nominate a charity or open source project and I'll donate.

P.S. although it doesn't matter the model is a DS-7216HVI-SH.

I'll try to remember LTS products for DVR solutions in the future. Unfortunately, DVRs don't come up often though (IT managed services provider).

Regards,

Morgan

Very glad it worked! If you like to donate you can send to your local animal shelter

Let me know if you ever switch trade or do it for your friends/family, with your background in IT, IP cameras integration should be a breeze.

Just for your information, you can also do it from iVMS-4000 and iVMS-4200 software on a compyter; with it you can download not just single files, but time intervals (like, 21/Apr/2014 from 04:00 to 22/Apr/2014 09:00).

Dear milkisbad,

You are the man! That tool works a treat - no 4000 result limit! It's exporting now. The only downside & likely not a software limitation is that the export only happens at 2MB/s average. The export will take ages but at least it can sit there exporting the data instead of having to be attended to.

PM me with your paypal and I'll deposit $15 in to it or nominate a charity or open source project and I'll donate.

P.S. although it doesn't matter the model is a DS-7216HVI-SH.

I'll try to remember LTS products for DVR solutions in the future. Unfortunately, DVRs don't come up often though (IT managed services provider).

Regards,

Morgan

was this video files or photos?

I am in the same bind but trying to extract photos/images NOT video.

and it won't show me anything but a 10 minute video I recorded just to test.

Logging in to Webif shows me the photos but downloading THAT many photos is impossible ..