buellwinkle

Outdoor temp controlled enclosure for NVR

Can anyone recommend an outdoor nema box that is air-conditioned for use in warm climates, about 50-100F that can house a small NVR or NAS plus PoE switches, access control controller, mobile broadband router.

Inside the box, with the sun shining on it combined with heat build up from equipment running it could reach much higher temperatures and from experience, putting any sort of hard drive has a short life expectancy when we have a heat wave, say at 95-100F on the outside, but 120-140F inside. I know it won't be cheap, but the alternative is to put in a 1,500' run with Ethernet extenders, so trying to way the options.

Can anyone recommend an outdoor nema box that is air-conditioned for use in warm climates, about 50-100F that can house a small NVR or NAS plus PoE switches, access control controller, mobile broadband router.

Inside the box, with the sun shining on it combined with heat build up from equipment running it could reach much higher temperatures and from experience, putting any sort of hard drive has a short life expectancy when we have a heat wave, say at 95-100F on the outside, but 120-140F inside. I know it won't be cheap, but the alternative is to put in a 1,500' run with Ethernet extenders, so trying to way the options.

Google Peltier cooler

( you will need lots of power )

Bout the best you can do without spending a fortune is paint the box white or a light color, add vents at top sides, home depot has some round louvered ones that are screened for the bugs and will not leak water, add a vent screen at the bottom and for extra cooling you could add a small computer fan, since you have power lots of fans will work, you can also use a cheep HF solar panel and run a small fan off it if you want, I did this on my MH refer and it works like a champ-no power needed !

You could go the opposite route and buy a harsh environment NVR. Typically the ones designed for police or automotive applications seem to work the best. Seneca, Moxa and Sentry all make very good ones. You can see them here:

http://www.cctvsentry.com/sentry_NVRrugged.php

http://www.moxa.com/product/Industrial_Network_Video_Recorder.htm

http://www.senecadata.com/products/digital-security/security-specialty-NVR.aspx

This would keep your power requirements down and achieve the same thing. Then you just use a standard ventilated box with fans for heat exchange. The Seneca unit is a BEAST! I have two of them in the field and they have zero issues running in the trunk of an all black police car inside a protective (bulletproof) enclosure with no extra cooling at all.

I think that Ethernet extenders would be a better solution, or a harsh environment NVR.

Otherwise, a solar panel system powering an AC might be a way to go, but I'm sure the costs would be up there.