Lindopski

confused - sending a DVI signal from on place to another

Hi guys

I have been asked if I can send a DVI signal from a piece of surgical kit to our lecture theatre for students to watch procedures.

The kit has DVI out and comp out, at first I tried using the comp into a DVR and sending that through.

It worked but the Def. was fairly poor compared to this unreal super HD surgical camera and any on screen text was just a garbled mess.

the kit has a DVI out port and I am thinking can I get something like a DVI to LAN box of some kind that I can chuck through the network and then receive in the lecture theatre and feed through to the PC in there.

(recording that image would also be great as the students can take a copy and look back when it is their turn to start slicing).

Have you got any ideas what kit could do this job reasonably well ?

Many thanks

Depends on how far you are between the 2 units, you can easily convert the DVI to HDMI and run separate audio cable, distance without a repeater is 50' specs say less but works at 50' without repeater there is also available powered video balums that go to cat5 and go long distance-this will only work if you have a spare cat5 run over there, the ones I've seen have caused non-standard problems with some TVs, you can also send it wirelessly, 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ senders are out there

I like KENSTV's idea. Converting the signal and using extenders can do wonders, especially if you have existing cable that you can run it over.

HD-SDI is there for less than 100 meter hook up.

Otherwise, IP camera could be the option.

did you even read what he actually asked for?

I was kinda wondering that myself.

Hi gang

many thanks for the replies

the education centre/lecture theatre that the video will be viewed on is in a separate building hence why I was thinking more along the lines of using the ICT network to fire the video data around.

that lindy thing might be ok ?

I was thinking, fire the DVI signal out from the robot - send it to the LAN via (insert piece of kit here).. log into a PC in the lecture theatre and link to the image that is being broadcast (recording it too would be a bonus).

not done anything like this before, usually its coax into the back of a DVR and off we go.

Hi gang

many thanks for the replies

the education centre/lecture theatre that the video will be viewed on is in a separate building hence why I was thinking more along the lines of using the ICT network to fire the video data around.

that lindy thing might be ok ?

I was thinking, fire the DVI signal out from the robot - send it to the LAN via (insert piece of kit here).. log into a PC in the lecture theatre and link to the image that is being broadcast (recording it too would be a bonus).

not done anything like this before, usually its coax into the back of a DVR and off we go.

What is the equipment on the other end? Is it also DVI? If so, you can use a simple DVI extender that runs over a LAN and then convert it on the other end back to DVI. This would be simple and pretty much transparent.

Samir, Ssnapier

DVI(digital visual interface) signal can not go further than HDMI signal.

TV signal (PAL /NTSC) from the DVR can go easily over 200 meter, but its resolution is quite limited as said.

That's why my recommendation was HD-SDI system, which could be much cheaper overall.

Samir, Ssnapier

DVI(digital visual interface) signal can not go further than HDMI signal.

TV signal (PAL /NTSC) from the DVR can go easily over 200 meter, but its resolution is quite limited as said.

That's why my recommendation was HD-SDI system, which could be much cheaper overall.

I understand what you're suggesting now.

But there are converters that drive a DVI signal much longer than the original spec. Many over cat5 or put it on a LAN.

Samir,

Actually, HD-SDI system was designed for transferring a high quality video from the original film source, being used for broadcasting TV studio. CCTV has just started to use it for delivering HD raw video data from HD Camera. IP camera could be a cheaper option, but with some time delay and degradation of decoded video quality from the artifact of compression.

Samir,

Actually, HD-SDI system was designed for transferring a high quality video from the original film source, being used for broadcasting TV studio. CCTV has just started to use it for delivering HD raw video data from HD Camera. IP camera could be a cheaper option, but with some time delay and degradation of decoded video quality from the artifact of compression.

Do you have a link to such a product? I've not heard of this before.

I understand "gennum.com" was the first one to supply HD-SDI TX and RX chipsets.

There are many camera and dvr suppliers based on the HD-SDI technology. Buy a Korean or Taiwan product, which will be less disappointing in quality and customer support.

Fascinating technology! I had no idea such a thing existed that natively extends a video signal over regular coax.

If there's a coax run from the source DVI to the endpoint, a DVI to HD-SDI converter might be perfect.

There could be of course DVI to HD-SDI converter. And HD -SDI DVR Box expects HD-SDI signals to be plugged into. HD-SDI can be applicable up to 100 meter Coax Cable, they say.