Hi,

I am really new to dvrs i really hope someone can guide me, i have a dvr h.264 and now all three listed ddns websites associated with the firmware on the dvr either no longer exits or is a pay service. I want to add a custom firmware if i can so i can add free dns sites. Is there anyway to do this?

Thank you in advance

Short answer; no, you can't.

Long answer; you can, but it might not be worth the hassle.

You should contact the DVR manufacturer and ask them. I would first contact whoever sold you the unit, if possible. "h.264" is not a brand, but a compression algorithm, so "dvr h.264" is just a generic chinese dvr. It might be quite difficult to get a firmware update, if you can do it at all.

Post a picture of the front and back of your unit, maybe someone will recognise it and help you out.

Thank you so much for the reply. I have done some digging since posting and discovered that it is actually called sentient. I am under the impression it might be something to do with mapling.

DDNS works when your DVR keeps telling a dedicated network server all the ip addresses in chain that your DVR is connected to. The server dynamically updates the ip address at a regular interval when the IP address in a long chain changes. If your DVR is port-forwarded and you can willingly take trouble to identify its global(public) ip address every time your remote access is blocked, then you do not need to pay for DDNS.

Realistically, DDNS can be run on any device on your network. It doesn't have to originate from the DVR. My home server runs a DDNS client, so therefore anything hitting my domain gets routed accordingly. It sounds like you have three service options on your DVR, all of which don't sound appealing to you. Aside from those three options you're pretty much stuck unless you pull in the capability from a different device, whether it be a home server, router, or something else on your home network that stays running 24/7. As a result, I'd take a look at your router. Perhaps your router supports more services. Worth checking into.

I understand not everybody runs a home server (though if you like your data, I highly recommend it), so my above option of what I use might not be up your alley. If you're technically inclined and want to throw around a few bucks, something like a raspberry pi makes for an extremely low powered computing device on your home network. You could always spin up a DDNS client there. The DDNS client I use (ddclient) supports who-knows-how-many services, so I just put in my info accordingly and it works great.

That last idea is something I would consider to be a last resort, but nonetheless, it WOULD work if you had (literally) no other options. You have three options on the DVR, all strikeouts, and in my case I only have two options on my router, also strikeouts (for me). If nothing else it's at least worth mentioning, though it's also worth mentioning that it may require a bit of finaggling to get going.

Realistically, DDNS can be run on any device on your network. It doesn't have to originate from the DVR. My home server runs a DDNS client, so therefore anything hitting my domain gets routed accordingly. It sounds like you have three service options on your DVR, all of which don't sound appealing to you. Aside from those three options you're pretty much stuck unless you pull in the capability from a different device, whether it be a home server, router, or something else on your home network that stays running 24/7. As a result, I'd take a look at your router. Perhaps your router supports more services. Worth checking into.

I understand not everybody runs a home server (though if you like your data, I highly recommend it), so my above option of what I use might not be up your alley. If you're technically inclined and want to throw around a few bucks, something like a raspberry pi makes for an extremely low powered computing device on your home network. You could always spin up a DDNS client there. The DDNS client I use (ddclient) supports who-knows-how-many services, so I just put in my info accordingly and it works great.

That last idea is something I would consider to be a last resort, but nonetheless, it WOULD work if you had (literally) no other options. You have three options on the DVR, all strikeouts, and in my case I only have two options on my router, also strikeouts (for me). If nothing else it's at least worth mentioning, though it's also worth mentioning that it may require a bit of finaggling to get going.

Thanks for the help. Essentially yes. The 3 ddns services on the dvr are no longer working. Which is why I was looking for a new firmware for the dvr.

However my router has many ddns options. I thought you had to have the ddns listed on the dvr. Didn't know could point the dvr to the router instead.

Hi. My custom firmware on router supports lots. Should I get dvr pointing to router?