iKnife

Turning a WIRED CCTV camera to WIRELESS?

My boss has bought a 12 Camera Security System by lorex that is Wired I was wondering if there were any transmitters that I could use to turn it wireless so I don't have to start drilling holes everywhere and digging a bunch of trenches.... I know there are Wireless Transmitters out there and Receivers but I can't find any info if Lorex has it so they won't work for their system? It's just a Regular BNC connection that only allows video with a Power cord... Siamese Cable?

Anyway any help is much appreciated.

You don't need Lorex specific products. Any transmitter and receiver set will more than likely work with whatever you have as long as you purchase the correct cables to attach transmitter to camera and receiver to DVR.

I'd be more concerned about the fact that you need direct line of site with analog wireless (no transmitting through walls), and the distances involved between transmitters and receivers. You also only have 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz frequencies to work with and only 4 channels on each one if this is an analog system. You're going to find yourself being limited to 8 wireless cameras max without beginning to run into issues with interference.

If this is an IP camera system, you need access points and some networking knowledge.

Hi 12 cameras wireless is going to cost much more than your full system.

It would be cheaper to run cables ..... Also remember drilling holes you would have to do anyway as you still need power local to camera

Thank you guys very much, So it won't work through 1 wall if i'm only say 100 feet away with the trasnmitter that I buy?

It's ok thinking of just one transmitter ....... It starts to get expensive when looking at transmitters with a wide channel range

In your case it's 12 channel

I'm really only looking for four to do it to( I should have said that in the first post) I have 7 setup already but the other four run outside by the garage... So it'd only really be four.

If you're transmitting through a wall, you're looking at anywhere from 30%-%100 video loss depending on the thickness and material. Typically speaking, it's about 40%-60% video loss when transmitting through most walls.

Glass and very light foliage are some of the only things that I've found most of these to transmit through without a lot of issues. If you're determined to go with wireless and it's only going to be 4 cameras, use 5.8Ghz transmitters and receivers. You'll have less interference from other wireless devices.

Okay, I have a glass encasement I can set all the transmitters in on top of each building. I'm doing 4 cameras wirelessly they only use video and the power cable... Could someone point me to a good 4 channel wireless reciever and transmitter? 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz would be great I'm looking online and there's tons to choose from. Also it's a BNC connector and what looks to be just a regular 12 Volt power adapter.. Thank you very much for all of your time!

This place has a few options. They have single camera transmitter / receivers (5.8GHz) starting at $86.

http://www.eyespyli.com/wireless_receiving_systems.htm

There are a lot of high power weather proof units from other places but they are far from cheap.

I'm going to assume, based on the fact that your boss purchased Lorex equipment, that he doesn't want to spend a whole bunch on these wireless units.

It doesn't have to be weatherproof being as they will all be inside but on some of these transmitters I'm seeing I see 2 power cables instead of one and only one bnc cable? Why do they have two power inputs?

Some of them have other inputs and outputs such as audio in and alarm output. Maybe that's what you're seeing.

Just to be clear if it has a BNC video cable and a Power input it should work for what I'm using it for correct?

As long as its for video which it sounds like it is.

If you question a particular model just post it here.