price123

making a video still clearer

HI There, I am looking for a little advice.

Recently our company has had a few thefts of diesel from our yard so we have tried fitting new cameras facing the exit/entrance but cannot make out a Reg due to the quality and time of day. We have managed to get a decent Still image from the CCTV footage but the REG is pretty unclear. I have been told to try GIMP 2 software but I cannot get any further. We have given the footage to the police on each occasion but they always claim they cant do anything.

Can anyone help with some advice or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

051546.thumb.JPG.a9c6ea85c4725f1e87b382eae63de502.JPG

Install a better camera. Install the camera on a better spot. Install a camera suited for capturing license plates.

Install a camera with better resolution (IP megapixel, etc).

You will not get a license plate from that screenshot.

Install a better camera. Install the camera on a better spot. Install a camera suited for capturing license plates.

Install a camera with better resolution (IP megapixel, etc).

You will not get a license plate from that screenshot.

Seconded.

Price,

Sorry to know No Help from police.

Here goes one tip, but I have not tried.

The idea lies in the fact that the plate number is in black color but the back ground

of it is in yellow or a much bright color.

The fact is the digital value of black or near black is 0 to 30 in all RGB value, but bright color values ranges above 150, in Red and Green.

Please extract the region of license plate. Keep folding the same plate until the black number can be readable (identified). Folding means adding the value mathematically. The values getting over 255 will be chopped down to 255, to be represented in digital 8 bit. The values below 255 will keep being added to show you the clearer number.

You may try to find a software pack to do this kind of things manually. Or ask a college programmer to do this for you.

HI There, I am looking for a little advice.

Recently our company has had a few thefts of diesel from our yard so we have tried fitting new cameras facing the exit/entrance but cannot make out a Reg due to the quality and time of day. We have managed to get a decent Still image from the CCTV footage but the REG is pretty unclear. I have been told to try GIMP 2 software but I cannot get any further. We have given the footage to the police on each occasion but they always claim they cant do anything.

Thanks

The first thing I would check before replacing any kit is the settings on your recording system.

This should be set for the highest achievable resolution.

Second check that the camera is correctly focused in all light conditions and that the shutter speed is correctly set (to reduce motion blur).

Then test to see if the recorded images are OK.

If not consider changing the lens to reduce the view and produce a larger image of the target area. This could then require a second camera to be installed.

Ilkie

The numbers appear to be about 12-13 pixels tall which should be readable but the image is so out of focus it's not usable. Try focusing the camera first and if you can't get a clearer picture. If it's a varifocal are changeable lens, try a longer focal length to get a larger plate number. Also could just be dirt on the lens that's making it that way. If you can't get a clear picture, you can get very decent 1080P cameras these days for well under $200 USD.