Baileyb

Controlling my NVR from 2 floors away

Hi.

I have my network switch in a cupboard (vented) 2 floors away from my main TV. I am going to move the NVR into this cupboard with my gigabit switch and patch panel.

Anyway, at the moment i'm accessing my Hikvision Nvr via a wireless mouse, which works great. But i know won't work 2 floors away so anyway know of a solution.

I cannot get a 20m usb extension lead up there, would something like bluetooth work or would that need to be an actual PC.

Any advice would be great

UTP = Universal Twisted Pair there are different twists for different frequencies and data speeds. That is a DEEP rabbit hole, so unless you want your head to explode just trust me on that and know that is what it means.

Utp is unshielded twisted pair in America.

(Stp is shielded)

But I see from a quick google search that the term universal twisted pair comes up a good number of times.

Is that the European term?

But I see from a quick google search that the term universal twisted pair comes up a good number of times.

Is that the European term?

My apologies, I believe unshielded is actually more correct. I think the other meaning was adopted when several different types of cable started using a variety of different twisting methods.

Bought a couple of adapters. And they don't work with the NVR.

Plugged in the wired mouse that came with it works fine. Attached the adapters and not joy.

Done exactly the same with my laptop before and after and both work.

Not sure why its not working. The Ethernet lead for the test is about 20cm long. The adapters have a range of 150m.

any ideas how to get around this?

Wires crossed as it the cat cable?

I am using brand new sealed cables. As said works fine on my laptop just not the NVR. Maybe not enough power to control it.

No I meant crossed pairs at the terminal block... red on pin 1 (side A) and green on pin 1 (side B). That kind of crossed.

Sorry you have completely lost me

The adapters are sealed, one male and one female. Don't understand where the crossed wires would come from.

Doesn't your NVR have remote capability? If it does, you can install the client software on a PC and control it by logging in through the client software.

Yes i can access it via laptop. But i would like access on my TV too. (hdmi connected) as the Wife can access it easy to check on my Sons etc (their room, outside) if she feeding our baby.

A PC connected to the TV via HDMI is an option, but it can be expensive. Although I don't use my HTPC for that purpose, I could if I wanted to.

I have a xbmc media centre attached to my TV.

I would really just like to control the NVR which is 2 floors up via the TV downstairs. Maybe a 20m usb extension cable is the answer.