JM85

Night Time Recording, Please Help

Hi All

Had 4 Vantage CCTV Dome Camera's installed at the weekend but having issues with the night time recording, the image looks like below can anyone help??

image.thumb.jpg.81e92286c5e98cb593a42d64a88be2d9.jpg

If you had them installed professionally, you should have them come and look.

Are they ir night vision cameras? Are they installed outside or are they viewing through glass windows ?

They are mounted outside & were done by a friendwho used to fit them but is now on holiday,

II've read some bits on IR bleed but not sure I really understand it, what do I need to do to cure?

Also how would I have switched the IR off on the top one?

Could camera number 1 be a power consumption issue?

I currently power all 4 cameras from one 12v adaptor with camera 1 being the furthest from the power source, if I cover the dome I can hear a clicking noise

The clicking noise is the ir cut filter dropping out which is proper.

What's the amperage rating of the power supply

I currently power all 4 cameras from one 12v adaptor with camera 1 being the furthest from the power source, if I cover the dome I can hear a clicking noise

What is the amperage of the 12V power supply and how far all of your cable runs?

What is the amperage of the 12V power supply and how far all of your cable runs?

1500ma I think, the furthest is maybe 20mtrs using RG59 cable & that's front one (1st photo)

The cable runs the full length & width of my 4 bedroom house if that helps at all??

I wouldn't worry about that length so much as long as its proper 18 awg power conductors.

That power supply however is a little chinsy.

Try running just the front camera on it and see what happens

You'd be better off with a bigger power supply

I wouldn't worry about that length so much as long as its proper 18 awg power conductors.

That power supply however is a little chinsy.

Try running just the front camera on it and see what happens

You'd be better off with a bigger power supply

What kind of Amp's output should I be looking for??

Am I OK running all 4 off the one power supply?

To me 1150mA is low

That's 1.5amps

Power supplies are cheap enough that I'd go with a 4 amp

Try running the one at night and see how it goes.

20 meters of cable shouldn't give an issue as long as its the proper cable and its run properly

To me 1150mA is low

That's 1.5amps

Power supplies are cheap enough that I'd go with a 4 amp

Try running the one at night and see how it goes.

20 meters of cable shouldn't give an issue as long as its the proper cable and its run properly

Ive had a look this evening as it was getting dark & Camera 1 (1st photo) only half the LED's are lighting up in the dark, down one side of the Camera the LED's don't seem to be lit red at all could this be the problem??

What would be causing this?

Cameras are Vantage Spartan Dome

untitled.png.e2ff044daaa4561563bdfc8c8587d926.png

The camera you showed doesn't appear to have ir

Is it possible to supply power right at the camera for testing.

The cameras I have do have IR lights all around the edge of the lens, the image was just to show the style more than anything, I've been told the cameras are not good & I should try some Swann ones??

Im stumped as to why half the leds would not be working??

Ok

Does any camera fully light if its the only one on the power supply.

You also should show some detailed pics of those ones that appear to have reflection.

Ok

Does any camera fully light if its the only one on the power supply.

You also should show some detailed pics of those ones that appear to have reflection.

I cleaned the domes on the ones with reflection & that was a huge improvement

The main one of concern now is the front one, they are all run from the same power pack & the other 3 light up all the way around but the front one only lights up half way round (red LEDs) the front one is the first photo above

It's possible that the front camera is just bad out of the box.

But you still should bring the power supply as close to it as possible in order to eliminate cable as problem.

When I took my first electronics class the teacher told us "electrons are like college freshmen, they seek the easiest path." They can be lazy little buggers so like many have said power supply is likely the issue. I run a minimum 4 amp supply for any camera system that has IR LEDs involved. They aren't much more than a 1 amp supply. However if you are running off a plug in transformer then the 1500 mA they say is likely a lie and at best you are getting an amp which isn't enough for most 4 cam IR LED systems. The specs on the cams say roughly a third of an amp when fully lit. Four cams makes that around 1.2 to 1.3 amps. Pushing the limits of a plug in transformer.

Step 1, real power supply. I like Securitron but I'm an old school Access Control guy and they are my favorite.

Step 2, make sure the power wire is 18 gauge. You can get by with lighter stuff for non IR and non heated cams but for quarter to half amp draw cams it gets a bit shaky at the end of longer runs. If the guy put in a plug in transformer he may have used CAT5 or some such nonsense and 22 gauge just isn't going to work for that draw.

So a update:

Took the front camera down to have a closer look, plugged into a 3" power cord & covered the lenses with cupped hands & again only half the LED's light up but even they only light up faintly

Had another broken camera in the house (broken housing) & tried the same test & all the LED's light up much brighter so looks like it was a faulty camera

Going to put the working camera in the working casing & try again tonight, fingers crossed

Appreciate all the help every one

So, you're gonna swap the two?

Also make sure you upgrade that power supply to a 4amp

I've got a 3.42 amp laptop power cord on standby to try once it gets dark, would this run the camera's OK?

If it goes well I shall get on one on order