secplus

Dahua HD-CVI systems

So my distributor just got a shipment of the new HD-CVI systems from Dahua. I ordered 2 fixed lens domes and 3 Varifocal bullets, and 8CH DVR. They claim 720P over coax, and honestly the price of the equipment makes me think twice about continuing offering Analog systems. I will keep you guys updated when I install it and post some screenshots. Here's more info:

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products_category/eye-ball-camera-401.html

I'm interested in seeing how you make out.

I really haven't been keeping up with the hd-sdi stuff and I've been mildly entertained by the thought of using 960H but in my full time job, its mostly MP IP.

On my side residential stuff, I'd love to push ip but its hard even with Dahua & Hikvision pricing so I typically go analog.

I was just talking to a sales rep for Winic (Dahua rebranded) the other day and he was chatting up hd-cvi.

Now today I get an email from my Dahua supplier pushing hd-cvi kits for $299. They've got 4 720p fixed bullets & a 4 channel hd-cvi dvr. It doesn't mention hard drive so I'm thinking its not included.

Now I probably won't go with the package deal because I don't trust them.

The cameras and dvr look different than any devices on Dahuas site but if the per piece price is right on hd-cvi (or hd-tvi) I'd be happy to just be done with analog all together.

My distributor sent out the email two days ago, and as it happened, I'm wiring a new house for the developmednt company I am contracted by and I decided to go IP for this house (is a 1.3 Million house), but after we saw the email (and the price!) we decided to go this route, the only issue I have is that I have already ran CAT6 all over the house and the house is now sealed and Sheetrock. So we are going to use video balums and "cross" our fingers..

I heard Night vision is very noisy...i would test out a camera in a dark room first before installing or in an area with no light...but i guess this can be solved with security lighting or external IR illumintor.

Day picture is ok, better than 960h but not as good as 1.3mp for IP and HD SDI, but price structure is almost same as 600 tvl analog so can't complain.

Lots of distributors trying to clear out HD SDI and HD CVI because of HD TVI, you might be able to get some good deals....maybe that's why the kit is $299...

I thought winic only sold to other suppliers, how dare they! lol

That's good to know on the noise issue.

As far as using baluns, its my understanding that hd-cvi doesn't have the issues that hd-sdi has so they may be fine.

Winnic does just sell through suppliers. I'm not an end user.

The thing with winnic also is that the way it was explained to me, they are oem'd by both dahua and hikvision.

There are also 1080p cvi systems which seem like they'd be more worth it as long as there's not a huge price difference

Hello Folks,

Nice to hear from you share this valuable info. Actually, I also wonder how is CVI, TVI perform all day. I have seen those perform well at day time but bad at night/dark time. Especially, I found if those stuff install at car moving site, the car will appear streaks(draging shadow). Futher more they claim transmit distance upto 500M, I really question does it true?

That's good to know on the noise issue.

As far as using baluns, its my understanding that hd-cvi doesn't have the issues that hd-sdi has so they may be fine.

It seems to me that baluns may work better for hd-sdi system than hd-cvi. Is there any other guy who actually tested the both systems with some popular baluns? We would appreciate his report very much, if he can kindly share his test result with our members here.

It seems to me that baluns may work better for hd-sdi system than hd-cvi. Is there any other guy who actually tested the both systems with some popular baluns? We would appreciate his report very much, if he can kindly share his test result with our members here.

U do remember that HD-SDI data rate is 1.485 Gbps

and u want to use baluns ?

not worth it

We put a video and basic write-up together for cable testing HDCVI that I linked to in another post: http://goo.gl/WlVsmQ

The video is basically going to show that network cable will work, but you can get more out of HDCVI than network cable can offer you.

I never messed with cable testing HDSDI because we honestly never found a camera from any manufacturer to function/work consistently.

Wrong choice, Op. This is what happens when you let price be your guide. A house wired up with cat6, you should choose nothing but an ip/megapixel system, period.

Wrong choice, Op. This is what happens when you let price be your guide. A house wired up with cat6, you should choose nothing but an ip/megapixel system, period.

I do have a IP system ready to go on this one, but we decided to use CVI just to test it out and see how it performs.

Our company hasn't had a single failure (factory defects included) with a Dahua HDCVI camera in the five months we've been selling them and only a single failure in total from any manufacturer we go through.

I would say Dahua has been pretty solid so far. It may not be as pretty as IP, but when most of these people are upgrading from standard definition analog systems or just purchasing their first system, HDCVI is pretty damn good for the money.

The only thing I see cheaper is cvi cameras. A 1080p Dvr is still a lot of bucks and it's limited to 2mp. I like dahua products. I suppose cvi has a place. Heck, I considered it too. But IP 2mp has a better image than cvi 2mp. And since you can put together 3mp systems without breaking the bank these days, there isn't much sense to going with anything less now. Just my opinion is all.

The only thing I see cheaper is cvi cameras. A 1080p Dvr is still a lot of bucks and it's limited to 2mp. Just my opinion is all.

4 Ch CVI dvr and 4 -1080 camera u can get around $ 700

u call this expensive

So according to that, 8 channels and cameras is 1400? I just put together an 8 channel 3mp system for 1600, and that includes two 3tb hard dives and a 21.5" hdmi with audio monitor. That was not alibaba either, all local vendors. I might have gone for cvi, but the numbers were out of wack. To me it's priced too high considering the image quality is lower than IP. It's not on par in that respect, it's lower quality. I only said what I said to the Op because he stated that the whole place is pre-wired with cat6. It doesn't seem like a good idea to go with cvi in that case. I have nothing against cvi, but I think it's still over priced- mostly the Dvr's. They're priced like nvr's, and they are not that. That, and the misrepresentation from places like qsee, that sends garbage cables with their kits. You can't install cvi on garbage pre-made cables, and I'd be willing to bet a large contingency of people expected that you could. It's still largely marketed with lingo to that effect. That's a real gotcha if you're not careful.

So according to that, 8 channels and cameras is 1400? I just put together an 8 channel 3mp system for 1600, and that includes two 3tb hard dives and a 21.5" hdmi with audio monitor. That was not alibaba either, all local vendors. I might have gone for cvi, but the numbers were out of wack. To me it's priced too high considering the image quality is lower than IP. It's not on par in that respect, it's lower quality. I only said what I said to the Op because he stated that the whole place is pre-wired with cat6. It doesn't seem like a good idea to go with cvi in that case. I have nothing against cvi, but I think it's still over priced- mostly the Dvr's. They're priced like nvr's, and they are not that. That, and the misrepresentation from places like qsee, that sends garbage cables with their kits. You can't install cvi on garbage pre-made cables, and I'd be willing to bet a large contingency of people expected that you could. It's still largely marketed with lingo to that effect. That's a real gotcha if you're not careful.

8 Ch DVR plus 8 cvi cameras ( 2.8-12 mm ) under 1400 ( 2 TB included )

camera varifocal with motorized lens

just for example

We have installed appx 20 of the cvi units. We are pleased with the image quality and the upsale-ability with existing clients with coax based analog systems. Although the problems we have been running into are almost enough to deter us from continuing to sell them. Much like their predecessors (sdi, tvi, ahd and soon to come vdi) they have qwerks that need to be ironed out. Although they claim the use of UTP baluns will not work, we have tested them passing the video through a full 1000' spool of cat5 without a problem. Real world application introducing interference we have had some poor video just as you would with analog. Where the real issues show are the in the units themselves from Dahua. 9 out of 10 units have glitchy menu interfaces where if you are trying to do 1 function another occurs. For example if you double click on a camera to bring it full screen sometimes it will go full screen, other times it will bring up the ptz menu other times you may see the power down menu. Another glitch, lets say you adjust your motion settings and want to copy them to all of the cameras. It will also copy your "record to" setting. So if you configure camera 1 to function the way you want and choose the Copy To All button. It will change which cameras record when they see motion. EX- Camera 3 sees motion, the dvr will record cam 1 and not 3. We have also had many issues with channel bleed over, where you see images from other cameras on top of each other regardless of the wire or camera. They also come from the factory with 4 admin logins with simple passwords. A royal pain to go through and reconfigure the admins. Anyway that's my 2 cents. Are any of you going through these issues as well?