SRTCCTV

Installation using CAT5

Hi everyone Im a newbie.

When wiring using CAT5 how do you wire to power supply and DVR if DVR is located a few feet from the power supply. Do you have to run a separate cable for power ?

Hope you understand my question.

Thanks

I get what you're saying, because you're using one pair in each cat 5 for video and then the remaining pairs for power, right?

It's unfortunately not always neat and you'll need to figure out how to clean it up. but you can first bring the cat5 cables to the rear of the dvr and have your baluns terminate there and then some kind of patch cable from there to the power supply for each camera.

Personally for the patch cables I would use something like 18 gauge, one pair per camera.

Then just splice the the power patch cables to the cat 5 power cables using some sort of crimp connector.

Edited by Guest

That is correct. Do you recommend another method of wiring using CAT5? Just want to make sure the job looks clean and to par.

Edited by Guest

That is correct. Do you recommend another method of wiring using CAT5? Just want to make sure the job looks clean and to par.

Another alternative is to keep the baluns in the power supply if there's rokm and then run coax patches from there.

With this setup, you'd either have to make up your own coax patches using female bnc connectors at the balun end or you'd have to use barrel bnc couplers.

Unless you have a lot of cat5 cable laying around, i wouldnt use it. Cat5e gives you 1000mbps (gigabit ethernet) where cat5 only goes to 100mbps (fast ethernet).

For IP-camera network, cat5 is a big no, you'll end up bottlenecking it at some point for sure. And even then cat6 isn't THAT much more expensive, so worth considering aswell, especially on longer runs.

He's not using it for ip cameras. He's running cat5 with baluns for analog cameras.