akv

poe or power supply

hello

1. do POE might cause overheating or any other problems that power supply don't?

we live in hot country with direct sun on the cameras. i was read on amazon review that report problem with poe system. it's important that the system will be stable as the power supply is right now, we just don't have protection from rain so want to switch to poe.

2. do you know any non expensive software that can analyze the video to detect car plates?

1. I would go with POE because now most NVRs or POE switches have smart POE capability to send the camera the amount of power it needs at the given moment where as direct power has a constant stream of power with not adjustments to it. Also it would not be the POE that you would need to worry about, its the camera. As long as it is IP66 rating and also has a built in blower than that would be all you need to worry about. If you just get any camera without a blower, your just wasting money because you will have to replace it soon. i recommend you getting a HIKVISION Pro Series camera.

2. It is not the software that detects the licenses plate, its the camera, if you need an LPR Camera or you can actually tweak up almost any IP camera to work but you need to realize that at night time you will be ONLY picking up Licenses plates and nothing else, everything will be black except for when a car passes by in a particular area so you can catch the licenses plate, thats why they call it "Licenses Plate Recognition Camera"

1. I would go with POE because now most NVRs or POE switches have smart POE capability to send the camera the amount of power it needs at the given moment where as direct power has a constant stream of power with not adjustments to it. Also it would not be the POE that you would need to worry about, its the camera. As long as it is IP66 rating and also has a built in blower than that would be all you need to worry about. If you just get any camera without a blower, your just wasting money because you will have to replace it soon. i recommend you getting a HIKVISION Pro Series camera.

2. It is not the software that detects the licenses plate, its the camera, if you need an LPR Camera or you can actually tweak up almost any IP camera to work but you need to realize that at night time you will be ONLY picking up Licenses plates and nothing else, everything will be black except for when a car passes by in a particular area so you can catch the licenses plate, thats why they call it "Licenses Plate Recognition Camera"

thank you very much

i ordered the tp-link poe switch. i already have 3 dahua ipc-hfw4300s.

as for the car license, i give up on that. i found some compenies that do that but it's probably very expensive

Great.

Well the LPR is not an issue, actually its really simple, if you have a 12MM Camera with at least a 3MP Lens on it, you should be able to pick up tags, i even use the cheap HikVision small bullet to pick up tags at some customer locations but if that Dahua is at least 12mm or even 9mm and depending on the location of the camera and height of the camera you can achieve the LPR, not pitch perfect but will get you what you need

Great.

Well the LPR is not an issue, actually its really simple, if you have a 12MM Camera with at least a 3MP Lens on it, you should be able to pick up tags, i even use the cheap HikVision small bullet to pick up tags at some customer locations but if that Dahua is at least 12mm or even 9mm and depending on the location of the camera and height of the camera you can achieve the LPR, not pitch perfect but will get you what you need

yes, even not 12mm. i have 6mm with 3mp camera and it is way enough on daylight to pick up the numbers. i just wanted a software that can analyze the videos and to show me list of car plates, not viewing all the MD recording

Actually to analyze and list the license plates you do need a software, afaik , camera can capture them, but doesnt do anything with them as it recognizes them.

Very nice article about LPR (by buellwinkle): http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2177

Actually to analyze and list the license plates you do need a software, afaik , camera can capture them, but doesnt do anything with them as it recognizes them.

Very nice article about LPR (by buellwinkle): http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2177

If you want to analyze it of course you would need a software to capture them, but to get to that point, you need to have the right camera with settings to be able to recognize the plates without having issues day and night.

Thanks

I thought there is a software to get a software to analyze the videos as they are and get car numbers from them. But never mind, i don't need that so much.

Thanks

I thought there is a software to get a software to analyze the videos as they are and get car numbers from them. But never mind, i don't need that so much.

Ya you really don't need it, all you have to do, in your NVR, you can setup up motion around where the back of the car would pass with visibility of the plate, and then setup the motion to do 3 caputers or how many ever you would need or would feel that you get the clearest shot and then you can setup it up to either email you the captures or save them to any location that you desire. The people that usually use a third party software, are those who have a 24hr surveillance room and computers and servers are on 24hrs, because most of these softwares have to be running 24/7 to analyze these videos.