Nickel

CCTV Texas License

Hi,

I am new on this site. I m trying to start a business of Camera systems installations for businesses. In Texas, US there is a license requirement for installation. I don't know why, as the installer only hook the DVR to cameras, pulling cables, but not monitoring also never set the password for DVR. Customer always set the password for their DVR's as well as remote view. Then why installer needs the license. And this all process is very easy, like you connect your cell phone to your charges. If CCTV installation requires license, then I think so we also needs the license for connecting the charges to our phones.

Is anyone can help me in this area, I m searching all the sites, and totally confused in this regards.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Why not contact the state of Texas and inquire getting the proper license(s)?

You should never take legal advice off of the internet, find out through the proper channels.

I believe in NJ you would have to get a "alarm installer" license, basically you can't get one if you are a felon

Which makes sense if you think about it.

You should absolutely contact the state of Texas for more information as a lot of times there's classes you have to go to. Here in NY you have to go through a basic electricians class I believe.

You need a license because you need to know the proper way to handle low voltage, This is what the DVR and cameras run on (12VDC or 24VAC). It is a lot more than just plug and play systems.

Thanks for your time

I am asking for DIY type CCTV systems, not the advance or complicated type of systems. And i will defiantly check with DPS here.

Thanks again for all of your replies.

You don't need a license to install a DIY or even pro system in your own home if you are asking. You most likely will need a permit depending on the city that you live in.

Like others have said the license to install commercially is so that you do not mess up someones house. Even though it is DIY equipment, what happens if the power part of the cable shears off and sparks on something that catches fire in the ceiling. What if you improperly run the cable over a hot or high powered light fixture that causes interference. There are too many things like this and many more that the average DIY installer does not know about. That is why there is a "code", a set of rules that you should follow when running wires.

Being licensed is about protecting the consumer from people that do not have the experience to do things the right way.