binods21

Evolving from CAT-5 to Fiber Optics

Hello All,

I've worked with analog CCTV cameras in Nepal, for about 10 years now. The groundwork for fiber has just been laid and i have several requests for installing surveillance using fiber optics now. I have absolutely no idea on how the camera goes from already laid 32 core fiber point to the DVR.

Could someone please explain to me, how the cabling works with Fiber Optics, when installing CCTVs. Also, what are other accessories required? I've been asked to do an installation in about a week. A quick response wound be much appreciated.

Thank You!

Depends on what type of signal you want to send, you can send analogue signals across multimode fibre up to approx. 5km you would use a Tx unit at the camera end and an Rx unit at the control side. You can use 1 fibre for each signal or use more expensive multichannel units which send multiple analogue signals down 1 fibre ie 4 way or 8way.

If you are going to send an IP data stream down the fibre multimode will be limited to about 500m to meet Cat 5 standards- you can check out on internet for om1,om2,om3,om4,om5 fibre standards across Ethernet to get further info.

Hd IP will consume a lot of bandwidth if you have many cameras so your network capacity needs to be able to handle the data and then some spare for future expansion.

Good luck with your project.