Sign in to follow this  
Lobbster

Advice on Upgrading Several Old PC DVR’s

Hello and sorry for the long post. I am seeking advice on upgrading several video surveillance systems. I have 5 locations which use 6-10 yr old WinXP PC's using ViewGate DVR (now WatchNet). Another location has a basic HDD recorder with 14 analog cams. We recently acquired a location that had a Speco DVR16TL (~2006) with 16 analog cameras. There are 2 locations using much smaller 3 camera Lorex setups, and a new location coming online by the end of November which will have 12-16 cameras installed.

Even though we’ve had remote access to the older DVR's, generally our satisfaction with systems is poor. We are not active viewers (probably more to do with disinterested operators than the system itself). Usually they are used for incidents and we need to go back and review or export video. We have never suffered for a lack of resolution using analog cameras, only bad angles or gaps in coverage.

In fairness to the system, we never really took the time to learn how to use, much less maintain the tool. Therefore the experience was well below what it should have been. Over time, these neglected assets have been kicked around office floors gathering dust bunnies, but continue to record even though a few cameras have been bumped, drifted, or burned out. And, from time to time, a PC will be powered down and we don’t know until....

After a recent incident I needed to access video from the Speco unit we inherited. I had been previously warned by our installers, that it was a pos and difficult to get playback etc... Thanks guys - you just sold me $15,000 of video surveillance gear and hooked it up to a pos DVR !? Anyway, it took me about 15 mins to figure out how it worked, playback the incident and another 2 minutes to figure out how to burn the video from several cameras to a USB key..... We’ve had more action at this location since April than all other locations combined for the last 2 years ! I have become quite familiar with the Speco.

Based on my experience with our Viewgate PC's - overall the Speco is very capable. Somewhat funky to operate, perfectly serviceable, but extremely limited storage capacity and doesn't play nice with the network (I could get it running on a Win 7 workstation, but lost it when I tried to use it on another desktop on the same workstation). And no supported mobile access.

This basically set me off in a search for knowledge. I found a local supplier in Vancouver - Eyesonic - and bought a ES7216-WH (rebadged Hikvision LTD7216?). I installed it in the location that had a recorder with 14 analog cameras. I used a mobile app Guarding Expert, and another software called NVMS7000 for our local and remote windows workstations. Guarding Expert was eerily similar to the Lorex Stratus App we were already using for one of the systems. Anyway, the transition was very easy and now we have fantastic access to that location. We are watching how long a 1TB HDD will last based on motion event recording for a 10/7/364 operation.

In addition to the above, we are also making a transition to Cloud based POS. This system allows us to use IP Cameras to take dedicated critical angle photos of transactions and archive them with the POS transactions. We would also like to make sure this stream is compatable with the future DVR system.

We are now ready to move ahead and upgrade the rest of the system and I am still wondering which way to go - Appliance or PC. I am a big fan of today’s Appliances, but I want to make sure my choice uses quality components, solid engineering, good software, good QC and low power consumption. I don’t mind spending a few extra dollars for value added like burn in prior to shipping.

Based on what I have researched online I think all the following can meet our needs:

Eyesonic - Hikvision - Samsung - Speco - Avermedia - Watchnet

But what differentiates these systems ? Is it Software, Hardware, Peripherals or IP Camera compatibility, or all the above ???

I know the PC offers more expansion possibilities, and probably more flexibility to mix n match IP Camera brands. I’m not sure we need more or bigger, but I can see us being tempted by some of the newer IP Camera technologies (like a high rez PTZ Mobotix or something). But dreaming what could be will probably lead me down the wrong path. My need is for today. Harness 100+ existing cameras and make them easily accessible. Our application seems to be right in the Appliance’s sweet spot.

I’m ready to pull the trigger on an Eyesonic ES-7616HT - hybrid DVR with a 2TB HDD. When I showed Eyesonic the IP Camera my POS Supplier was recommending their comment was “Yes, that is our camera - we make it for them” - Hikvision ?

So before I make the next purchase, I am wondering if I am missing anything ? The one thing that bothers me about this new generation of Appliance DVR’s is the weight of the unit. Even though the Eyesonic comes standard with WD Purple (I trust WD), is it ready for prime time enterprise abuse ? It feels real light weight, but that could also be a good thing ! I don’t want to get sucked into cheap hardware that fails at a critical time because of under-spec’ed components or bad QC. And, all the new units will be rack or wall mounted off the floor and away from prying eyes/fingers.

Also, who are the best online suppliers in the US (like BH Photo Video) ?

Thanks for reading and any advice you may have to offer !

I’m ready to pull the trigger on an Eyesonic ES-7616HT - hybrid DVR with a 2TB HDD. When I showed Eyesonic the IP Camera my POS Supplier was recommending their comment was “Yes, that is our camera - we make it for them” - Hikvision ?

I guess this is it? Hikvision DS-7616HI-ST, hybrid system, it does 16ch analog and 16ch IP. It will allow you to keep all your current cameras and add IP cameras as you want (add, or replace existing analog cameras for IP cameras).

http://www.securame.com/grabador-hibrido-hikvision-ds7616hist-16ch-video-wd1-200fps-4ch-audio-16ch-ip-80mbps-h264-vga-hdmi-satax2-alarmas-p-1524.html

That is surely a good unit, I do not think you will regret geting it. Hikvision software is nice (Win, Mac, iOS, Android, Explorer, Firefox, Chrome...). Hardware should run with no problem 24/7 for years without giving you headaches.