Sign in to follow this  
doo600

[Experts] Help with replacing system

So after a long and annoying journey I decided to replace the system I had professionally installed 3 years ago that is terrible. Wasted money. I have a 3-$3500 budget and need 8 cameras. 1 is a front door so I think a fixed dome would be fine. I'm going to have to remove the coax and replace it with cat 6. I want color day and night cameras and I'll need a good night time picture. I need varifocal bullet cameras with most being overall property view with one camera focused about 100feet away at the entrance to my driveway. I want HD with at least 3mp. I also need a dvr, i do have a SATA 2tb hard drive that i could use if possible.

Can this be done with that budget and if so can someone help with recommendations?

You can easily get a very decent HD system with that budget; I would recommend and IP camera system if you're already committed to using Cat6 cable.

I think the majority of people are going to recommend Dahua or Hikvision as far as the manufacturer/brand is concerned. They both have plenty of options to offer you in the 3MP range.

Is there a better way to go instead of CAT6 and IP? I was looking at Hikvision. How do I know if it has a color camera at night? My current analog system has that and the wife wants to retain it.

You can easily get a very decent HD system with that budget; I would recommend and IP camera system if you're already committed to using Cat6 cable.

I think the majority of people are going to recommend Dahua or Hikvision as far as the manufacturer/brand is concerned. They both have plenty of options to offer you in the 3MP range.

Once your wife sees the quality of 2+MP IP video she will forget about what she thought she liked.