chris63220

Battery back up for Zmodo DVR.

Hi - I'm after a battery back up to power my Zmodo DVR + 8 cameras.

I want it to power up once the power is gone - The longest the power has gone out is roughly 5 hours so I would like it to go for around that long.

I do not have a generator an can't afford one hence why I'm after this option. Is there some sort of solar I can use to power the DVR and cameras?

DVR: Zmodo 8ch

Cameras: Mixed types/brands.

Hi - I'm after a battery back up to power my Zmodo DVR + 8 cameras.

I want it to power up once the power is gone - The longest the power has gone out is roughly 5 hours so I would like it to go for around that long.

I do not have a generator an can't afford one hence why I'm after this option. Is there some sort of solar I can use to power the DVR and cameras?

DVR: Zmodo 8ch

Cameras: Mixed types/brands.

Buy a UPS. APC makes some of the best UPS equipment and I would recommend that brand. I wouldn't really recommend batteries if it's easy enough to use a UPS at the DVR/camera power supply location.

Can you buy them in Australia? That's where I am located.

Yes. They should have the at any electronics store (whatever your equivalent of Best Buy is). Also should be able to find it online at any computer site (tigerdirect or australian equivalent).

Okay thanks I'll have to look into it.

What about solar? Is there a way I can run solar to the system to have it all maybe solar powered?

Okay thanks I'll have to look into it.

What about solar? Is there a way I can run solar to the system to have it all maybe solar powered?

Short answer yes. Long answer: too much effort.

A UPS is the right way to go about it, but be warned the entry level ones although they will provide the power you need to run it, may not run it for long. If you identify a UPS you can calculate how much capacity it has and compare that to your DVR and camera drain. E.g. if your cameras and DVR are combined pulling 70 W and a given UPS says it can deliver 300 W for 5 minutes, you would get 20 minutes.

I have my network on a UPS, but it wouldn't go more than 30-60 min after power outage. I did it partially to prevent it going down when we get occasional power flickers, and also to keep it going if somebody cuts my power (although since I have no internal cams at the moment that's a pointless requirement I admit).