Sign in to follow this  
lars_4

Hikvision POE 802.3af

Hi!

Can somebody explain which POE mode they use, Mode-A or Mode-B?

They are both supported according to the 802.3af standard.

I am going to buy POE injectors for the Hikvision DS-2CD3132-I.

Thanks!

Mode A.... why don't you just buy you a smart poe switch rather than buying multiple injectors.

Are you sure it's mode A ? that's quite unusual, most of the stuff in the market is Mode B (mid span) which technically means the injector is between the switch and the device.

Afcourse the switch can support both A and B if it is smart enough, maybe that is where the 802.3f comes in?

Mode A.... why don't you just buy you a smart poe switch rather than buying multiple injectors.

Are you sure it's mode A ? that's quite unusual, most of the stuff in the market is Mode B (mid span) which technically means the injector is between the switch and the device.

Afcourse the switch can support both A and B if it is smart enough, maybe that is where the 802.3f comes in?

Right, Mode B is mainly used if you are not powering a device through the switches POE but rather through a Midspan or Injector. The 802.3f is used in an injector.

Found this great article:

http://www.l-com.com/multimedia/whitepapers/wp_Power-over-Ethernet.pdf

Right, Mode B is mainly used if you are not powering a device through the switches POE but rather through a Midspan or Injector. The 802.3f is used in an injector.

Found this great article:

http://www.l-com.com/multimedia/whitepapers/wp_Power-over-Ethernet.pdf

So just to sum this up:

I can use a mid-span mode B injector, or a mode A switch to power a hikvision camera as long as it is 802.3f ?

I just read that whitepaper, and now I know why the CCTV market has not been in a rush to move to gigabit ports on their cameras. If they did that, they could not use Mode B!