radar7

Qsee quality?

How does QSee CCTV rate for warranty and tech support? Read some really negative reviews on CNET.com.

Thanks

We bought a Q-see ip system from Costco a few months ago. I had read that Q-see was rebranded Dahua, so I figured I'd take a chance, especially with Costcos great return policy.

There's been a couple issues I needed clarification on, mostly with the networking. I emailed their support, I had read the same reviews you probably did and didn't hold out much hope of a reply, let alone a speedy one. I was pleasantly shocked to find a very swift reply, maybe an hour later, and this was on a Saturday. I understand how hard it is to diagnose any sort of pc/network issue when you're not right there, able to poke through things yourself. None the less, this tech was pretty helpful, and after a few exchanges I found the problem(my router/cable company). It never crossed my mind to reply again, figuring they'd just move on. To my utter amazement, the tech actually called me just to make sure everything was all set and I didn't have any more questions.

The next time I needed to contact support was just as speedy and helpful. Slight issue with hd errors in the log on the NVR, it didn't affect it's performance that I could find, but I wanted to nip it in the bud before it did. Got another speedy reply with a link to the upgraded firmware download that addressed this specific issue along with extremely detailed instructions on how to do it. Everything went smooth, no more errors.

As for the quality of the actual cameras, I love them. The picture is crystal clear, setup was a snap. The night vision is pretty amazing. The NVR interface is pretty straight forward. Had an issue with one camera fogging up a bit, took the front off and found the seal was a bit off, reseated it, put it back together and haven't had a problem with it since. The specific cameras that came with our bundle(QCN8023B), are rated to -4 degrees and it's hit below that quite a few times and it hasn't phased their operation at all.

I might be the exception, but I found their support to be fantastic. And I have nothing but good things to say about the quality of the cameras and NVR. On a side note, I looked up the mac addresses to check the manufacturer and they are indeed Dahua.

We actually bought the Q-See one from Costco as well. The first one we had was defective and we sent it back. Then a month later one of the cameras went out and we replaced it with an extra one we have. Now we're having problems with the motion sensors on about half of them less than a year later. We did contact customer support and as the other poster said, they were pretty good but I don't know about the general quality of their products. The system is still works but not as it should. We are now in search for another system before our year is up for us to return our system to Costco.

We are now in search for another system before our year is up for us to return our system to Costco.

At their website (link below) you'll see that the system should be covered by their forever policy. There is no mention of a 1 year limit on anything.

https://customerservice.costco.com/system/templates/selfservice/costco_en_us/#!portal/200500000001002/article/200500000003119/Costcocom-Return-Policy

We are now in search for another system before our year is up for us to return our system to Costco.

At their website (link below) you'll see that the system should be covered by their forever policy. There is no mention of a 1 year limit on anything.

https://customerservice.costco.com/system/templates/selfservice/costco_en_us/#!portal/200500000001002/article/200500000003119/Costcocom-Return-Policy

"Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touchscreen tablets, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund."

Does Costco actually have a lifetime return policy on everything else they sell?

Yes I saw the camera listed. But it's not a camera, it's a security system with camera's. I saw a customer argue with a desk agent about that. The manager got involved and immediately sided with the customer that it was not part of the 90 day list.

Regardless, items are either on the 90 list or their on the forever list. It is a great think about Costco! Thanks for catching the camera part.

Karl