BeaglesBuddy

Help building a system

Hi,

My Beagle is getting old and it's time to put a surveillance system up. Unfortunately while i know a lot about beagles, i know nothing about camera systems.

Based on my needs what would you recommend I use?

I want to spend $500-$2000 on an IP based system.

- 2TB DVR with 4-8 indoor/outdoor cameras. 2 HD bays preferred with the ability to allocate memory as a backup system for my computer using a personal cloud setup. Preferably using something like dropbox

- Cameras that can go on my roof with sound and color and great night vision. (2 story house) I would like a clear HD picture. Non battery, powered by ethernet cables but open to whatever is most efficient.

- Ability to watch and control via my phone without interrupting recording.

- Motion sensors so i dont have to have them running 24/7. Possibly even send my phone a screenshot when motion is detected.

Thanks for you help!

Anyone have any ideas?

Really jus tlooking for a starting point. Doesnt have to have have a cloud interface etc..

Hi,

My Beagle is getting old and it's time to put a surveillance system up. Unfortunately while i know a lot about beagles, i know nothing about camera systems.

- 2TB DVR with 4-8 indoor/outdoor cameras. 2 HD bays preferred with the ability to allocate memory as a backup system for my computer using a personal cloud setup. Preferably using something like dropbox

- Cameras that can go on my roof with sound and color and great night vision. (2 story house) I would like a clear HD picture. Non battery, powered by ethernet cables but open to whatever is most efficient.

- Ability to watch and control via my phone without interrupting recording.

- Motion sensors so i dont have to have them running 24/7. Possibly even send my phone a screenshot when motion is detected.

Thanks for you help!

Hi,

It might help if you tell us more about your actual needs.

Is that your absolute maximum?

So you want your NVR to be a place you make computer backups to as well?

Back to your needs, what do you want to be able to do? Read plates? Capture plates? Capture High definition face shots of intruders? Keep an eye on your beagle?

- Cameras that can go on my roof with sound and color and great night vision.

Your roof may be a bad place for your cameras depending on what you want to achieve. For Overview high is great but if you want a clear shot of a face you need to lower the angle. Sound is also pointless on something six meters in the air when the conversation you want to catch happens at the front door.

- Ability to watch and control via my phone without interrupting recording. - Motion sensors so i dont have to have them running 24/7. Possibly even send my phone a screenshot when motion is detected.

I use a windows I5 based PC NVR running Blue Iris which allows me to do those things.

Thanks for you help!

That's a good question. What help do you have available. Do you have the knowledge to build a PC from parts or is plug and play more your thing?

It might help if you tell us more about your actual needs.

Home security unless they invent dog hearing aids. Being alerted of people in yard. Seeing some one damage my car and restricting motion detect to driveway. Not answer door to Jehovah's Witness. Watch 2 year old in basement.

Is that your absolute maximum
?

I guess. 2000would be nice I can go more if it's that big of a value jump.

So you want your NVR to be a place you make computer backups to as well?

Yes.

Capture High definition face shots of intruders
?

And two year old

Your roof may be a bad place for your cameras depending on what you want to achieve. For Overview high is great but if you want a clear shot of a face you need to lower the angle. Sound is also pointless on something six meters in the air when the conversation you want to catch happens at the front door.

Good point. I'll bring the cameras down between 1stand 2nd floor.

I use a windows I5 based PC NVR running Blue Iris which allows me to do those things.

Looking to do a standalone if possible.

Thanks for you help!

That's a good question. What help do you have available. Do you have the knowledge to build a PC from parts or is plug and play more your thing?

I can build a PC and have spare parts but would much prefer standalone. hiring some1 to run Ethernet wires.

Im only an amateur with some experience building my own cctv setups but this is the direction I think i would go.

Hikvision make POE 3mp domes and bullets that sound like they would suit your purposes very nicely. Buellwinkel reviews them over at Network Camera Critic.

I don't think you are going to get what you want with a stand alone NVR. Most of them are linux based and I don't know of any that allow you to use them as a NAS.

If I was in your position with your requirements I would be thinking about building an I7 based PC with an SSD for the operating system, a pair of enterprise hard drives in Raid 1 for your CCTV Storage, and another pair of hard drives in raid 1 for your backup system.

Get a motherboard with two network adaptors and a Gigabit POE switch. The POE switch connects to one of the adaptors and your cameras, the other adaptor connects it to the rest of your network. In theory that should keep things flowing smoothly when you are doing backup operations.

Spend $60 bucks and get yourself blue iris 4 and another $12 for the mobile application. Set it up for direct to disc recording.

Im only an amateur with some experience building my own cctv setups but this is the direction I think i would go.

Hikvision make POE 3mp domes and bullets that sound like they would suit your purposes very nicely. Buellwinkel reviews them over at Network Camera Critic.

I don't think you are going to get what you want with a stand alone NVR. Most of them are linux based and I don't know of any that allow you to use them as a NAS.

If I was in your position with your requirements I would be thinking about building an I7 based PC with an SSD for the operating system, a pair of enterprise hard drives in Raid 1 for your CCTV Storage, and another pair of hard drives in raid 1 for your backup system.

Get a motherboard with two network adaptors and a Gigabit POE switch. The POE switch connects to one of the adaptors and your cameras, the other adaptor connects it to the rest of your network. In theory that should keep things flowing smoothly when you are doing backup operations.

Spend $60 bucks and get yourself blue iris 4 and another $12 for the mobile application. Set it up for direct to disc recording.

Appreciate your help.