platinumaa

Wireless camera question

Hello all, newbie here.. from central florida

I am looking into a new security camera system w/ dvr.. and have a general question. We are looking at a system w/ a minimum of (4) wireless cameras w/ infrared capability, outside use. (we havent selected a system yet)

Question is.. with these wireless cameras, typically are they battery operated? Or do all require a wire for power? we'd prefer no wires.

I assume they beam the image back to the dvr/receiver to get recorded

Thanks for the help!

Wireless cameras do need a power source, in the US 110 volt is standard. The big drawback with wireless is it is not as reliable as wired(ethernet) connections, it will sometimes drop out, maybe when you need it the most. You may want to research POE, power over ethernet. Power and video over 1 relatively easy to run cat5 or cat6 wire.

Thanks Walliams.. your response was a huge help in "answering the question"

As unhelpful as his response may seem, you may want to heed it as a warning. All I saw was "Wireless camera question" before I clicked the link and I was already screaming no in my head.

My response now puts the total at three, all of which are now advising you re-think the wireless route you're moving in if at all possible.

well, i talked to the company.. as it turned out it is wireless, from camera to dvr.. but still needs power, its not battery operated.. so really its not true "wireless"

that being said, since i need some wire, might as well go with a wired system.. power over ethernet.. as 51cent mentioned

thanks everyone!