Sign in to follow this  
sunmercury

Why NVR ?

I am looking at these two similar systems from Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-1080p-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100153934.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=973199&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100129001.html

The systems has similar specs except that the NVR is double the price (costing $500 more). Is there any advantage in getting the more expensive NVR, noting that both have the same 1080p resolution ?

I read a few review on Q-see NVR, and it seems like it's still buggy (motion detected recording is unreliable).

I initially want an NVR thinking that you can not get the 1080p with analog, but I guess I was wrong ? Any input is appreciated.

I am looking at these two similar systems from Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-1080p-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100153934.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=973199&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100129001.html

The systems has similar specs except that the NVR is double the price (costing $500 more). Is there any advantage in getting the more expensive NVR, noting that both have the same 1080p resolution ?

I read a few review on Q-see NVR, and it seems like it's still buggy (motion detected recording is unreliable).

I initially want an NVR thinking that you can not get the 1080p with analog, but I guess I was wrong ? Any input is appreciated.

The first link does not work...

I do not understand NVR costs u$500 more than the standalone DVR. Why??. NVR is for IP camera, only decompress and display the incoming compressed video files for spot monitoring. But standalone DVR does everything, including compression for incoming video data in format of HD-SDI, HD_CVI,HD TVI, HD-AHD. Those cameras are cheaper than IP Cameras. You dont need POE equipment for NVR. Anybody can explain whys??

I do not understand NVR costs u$500 more than the standalone DVR. Why??. NVR is for IP camera, only decompress and display the incoming compressed video files for spot monitoring. But standalone DVR does everything, including compression for incoming video data in format of HD-SDI, HD_CVI,HD TVI, HD-AHD. Those cameras are cheaper than IP Cameras. You dont need POE equipment for NVR. Anybody can explain whys??

Its not the the NVR costs more..its the whole package including the cameras...ip cameras cost more because there is more technology inside them, webserver, poe, etc...

OP if its a new install, use an IP system...easy to upgrade and install more cams..and you dont have to homerun the cams to the NVR, you can use a poe switch and run a single cable back to the NVR..

It's HDCVI, for sure. Check the images, you get that quality over coax cable or utp and video baluns. Pretty nice, huh? And not to mention the price, much lower that IP version...

It's HDCVI, for sure. Check the images, you get that quality over coax cable or utp and video baluns. Pretty nice, huh? And not to mention the price, much lower that IP version...

Where are the actual shots from cameras ?

I am not sure why my 1st link does not work for some (it works fine for me). You can also go to costco.com and search for "Item #973199". For the second link, it's "Item #916861".

As for Boogieman reply, thanks. But if I don't see ever need more than 8 cameras, nor need to run cable more than 100 ft, is there any reason to pony up $500 more for the IP, especially when it's still buggy with motion-detect recording ?