cctvnovice

Power question please

Hello. For each camera, I am using a Cat6 with baluns for the video connection and also a power balun at the camera so I may directly attach to a twisted pair from the Cat6. I am running video and power both inside the same Cat6 cable. When it comes to hooking the camera power up to the power box, I notice that I only need to touch the positive (+) wire, always the solid brown wire in my setup, to the terminal labeled Fused Power, and the camera comes on. There seems to be no need to hook the negative (-) marked wire (white with brown stripe) to the terminal marked Common? I have no idea, but I think this isn't supposed to be?

The power balun I picked up off of Amazon has two marked screw terminals. On the plug it reads + and - but also D(+) and C(-) so I am following the labeling at both ends... Please tell me what you think my be causing this? Sometimes the image looks better with just one power wire (brown +) hooked up rather than both. If I try to reverse the two wires, the camera doesn't power on.

I searched the web for an answer to this and found nothing. Hopefully someone here has run into this or knows what is going on. Thank you!

looks like you have a common ground wire in each of the pairs thus any one of them being connected gives you a return path to the 0v of the supply.