Sign in to follow this  
showmethebunny

Dropcam Tabs alernative? (Camera systems with motion tabs)

Are there any camera systems out there that have functionality to what Dropcam Tabs were (supposed) to have? Dropcam tabs were cancelled after they were brought by Nest. Because of light changes and other irrelevant things that mess with built-in motion detection, Dropcam tabs seemed like the perfect solution to getting alerted when someone opens my front door. I searched on Google (and this forum) for some kind of alternative, with no success.

So, any suggestions of comparable system like that? Where the camera only records (and preferably alerts to my phone) when a separate external sensor that detects true motion (not just visual motion). Thanks for any help!

Are there any camera systems out there that have functionality to what Dropcam Tabs were (supposed) to have? Dropcam tabs were cancelled after they were brought by Nest. Because of light changes and other irrelevant things that mess with built-in motion detection, Dropcam tabs seemed like the perfect solution to getting alerted when someone opens my front door. I searched on Google (and this forum) for some kind of alternative, with no success.

So, any suggestions of comparable system like that? Where the camera only records (and preferably alerts to my phone) when a separate external sensor that detects true motion (not just visual motion). Thanks for any help!

Dropcam is a total waste of money...300 dollars a year for 30 days of storage is insane..

As far as tabs...there are cameras that can accept external sensors - like the hikvision 2432...not sure if you can use them with wireless sensors though...however, the 2432 has a PIR motion sensor that will help eliminate false alarms. The standard pixel based motion detection has options like "line cross detection" that you can set so that it only triggers if the line is crossed, you can set it to work on both or a single direction (so for example, it wont trigger when leaving)...

Thanks for replying! I do realize Dropcam is a waste of money, that's why I was looking for alternatives. Right now I have my eye on the Samsung SNH-P6410BN, because it has both local storage on SD card and uploads to Google on motion triggers. The problem is, the area I want to use it in (facing the street) has too much going on and makes visual motion detection useless. Even with "motion zones" I get a lot of false positives because of shadows/trees swaying.

Dropcam tabs seemed like a perfect solution right out of the box, I could simply attach it to a gate or door and only when the object moved would it trigger a notification. I tried googling for different things, including "dropcam tabs alternatives" and "security camera with wireless sensors" but got nothing relevant. Surely there must be something out there? My old Zmodo CCTV system had a wired alarm input in the DVR box, but wireless sensors would be even better.

Hi. Samsung are the same they keep changing apps or one app that works for one will not work on another

If your looking for good remote view then look at apps first

Thanks for replying! I do realize Dropcam is a waste of money, that's why I was looking for alternatives. Right now I have my eye on the Samsung SNH-P6410BN, because it has both local storage on SD card and uploads to Google on motion triggers. The problem is, the area I want to use it in (facing the street) has too much going on and makes visual motion detection useless. Even with "motion zones" I get a lot of false positives because of shadows/trees swaying.

Dropcam tabs seemed like a perfect solution right out of the box, I could simply attach it to a gate or door and only when the object moved would it trigger a notification. I tried googling for different things, including "dropcam tabs alternatives" and "security camera with wireless sensors" but got nothing relevant. Surely there must be something out there? My old Zmodo CCTV system had a wired alarm input in the DVR box, but wireless sensors would be even better.

Your research should focus on whether you can use a wireless sensors with an ip camera line hikvision..im pretty sure it can be done if you have an receiver at the camera end...because you can use a wired sensor..or just rely on line cross detection or the pir sensor which are pretty accurate.