t310483317

Newbie Question: HDTVI vs IP Cams?

Hi guys...

I had two guys come out to my house in Texas and give me an estimate. The directive was: three cameras on exterior of the house, excellent picture day/night, and the ability to view motion-detection on my phone.

One guy wants to wire me with the HDTVI cameras and a DVR. The other wants to wire me up with IP Cameras into an NVR. Their prices for the complete job were the same.

I am not a pixel-peeper, so resolution and capabilities on both systems seem mostly similar. Is there any consideration I should give to one system over the other? Does it matter?

Hi guys...

I had two guys come out to my house in Texas and give me an estimate. The directive was: three cameras on exterior of the house, excellent picture day/night, and the ability to view motion-detection on my phone.

One guy wants to wire me with the HDTVI cameras and a DVR. The other wants to wire me up with IP Cameras into an NVR. Their prices for the complete job were the same.

I am not a pixel-peeper, so resolution and capabilities on both systems seem mostly similar. Is there any consideration I should give to one system over the other? Does it matter?

Did they give you model numbers? Go with the ip system as it will be easier to expand and replace down the line because its wired with ethernet.

The IP Cam guy works with Alibi cameras/NVR and the HDTVI guy I'm not but I think it's ACTI(?).

I've seen demos of both system, and I would be happy with the output of either one. I cannot imagine expanding given my needs and what they are doing now. Does either system affect bandwidth more/less? Are there perceived downsides of either system in terms of real-world application? Given the price is the same, should I just go with the guy I like and not worry about the tech he is using? I don't want to overthink this, but I also don't want to put in a system and think "I didn't realize XXX was a downside of this system, I wish I had gone with other technology which doesn't have this problem pop up."

The IP Cam guy works with Alibi cameras/NVR and the HDTVI guy I'm not but I think it's ACTI(?).

I've seen demos of both system, and I would be happy with the output of either one. I cannot imagine expanding given my needs and what they are doing now. Does either system affect bandwidth more/less? Are there perceived downsides of either system in terms of real-world application? Given the price is the same, should I just go with the guy I like and not worry about the tech he is using? I don't want to overthink this, but I also don't want to put in a system and think "I didn't realize XXX was a downside of this system, I wish I had gone with other technology which doesn't have this problem pop up."

The thing about TVI is that it is a wired system, so your connection will be more stable. You can also run the cable MUCH furthur than you can IP (TVI runs to 1000', while IP RJ45 will do about 328' without a Balun). As far as resolution, they both should be about the same... but the IP system is reliant on the network stability, so if the network is unstable or has low bandwidth, it will cause latency and if it goes down, well.. no more cameras! one good thing about IP is that if it is POE, you only have to run one RJ45 cable for audio/video and power so it more cost effective to run than coax/18-2

Did you go with the HD-TVI or IP system? How is the performance? I'm looking at HD-TVI packages. Cost is less is what I'm seeing with similar results.

I prefer Analog for the house because the cameras running on IP will be running on and slowing down your internal network. Not by a whole lot, but hell, in some areas if your network is already slow, you want as little stuff as you can get on there. So the TVI would be my choice. You only have to give the DVR network to view on your devices.

I prefer Analog for the house because the cameras running on IP will be running on and slowing down your internal network. Not by a whole lot, but hell, in some areas if your network is already slow, you want as little stuff as you can get on there. So the TVI would be my choice. You only have to give the DVR network to view on your devices.

This statement is absolutely false. If you run your ethernet cable back to the NVR it will in no way affect your network. Furthermore, if you have a gigabit backbone then your never going to affect the network with the typical home cameras...

Also you say" in some areas if your network is already slow" the area you live in has zero bearing on your internal network speed.

Edited by Guest

Why ...... If you do a dedicated CCTV network then it will be just the same as a analog system .... Until connected remotely .... Same as analog would.

Out of all formats ..... Nothing will slow your existing network ... And IP is still infront of all formats

Why ...... If you do a dedicated CCTV network then it will be just the same as a analog system .... Until connected remotely .... Same as analog would.

Out of all formats ..... Nothing will slow your existing network ... And IP is still infront of all formats

+1....zero affect on the network...

hi

better to choose IP Camera.... its

To summarize, all HD cameras are megapixel cameras, but not all megapixel cameras are HD cameras.

Megapixel cameras have a sensor with a minimum of 1.3 million pixels; multi-megapixel cameras have more. For example, 2-megapixel cameras have sensors with at least 2 million pixels, right on up 10-megapixel cameras.

We use both, you will get the same resolution out of HD-TVI that you will with IP. The only difference really is the ability to do away with a power supply with the IP cameras if the NVR has a POE switch.

Cat5 and Siamese RG59U are pretty much the same cost, and the cameras run the same, so the two systems costing around the same is not really a big surprise. The extra cost of the NVR is probably offsetting the cost of the power supply.

Keep in mind that the installer needs to mount water-tight junction boxes near each camera to terminate the connections into, electrical tape is not sufficient to keep water out.

We use both, you will get the same resolution out of HD-TVI that you will with IP. The only difference really is the ability to do away with a power supply with the IP cameras if the NVR has a POE switch.

Cat5 and Siamese RG59U are pretty much the same cost, and the cameras run the same, so the two systems costing around the same is not really a big surprise. The extra cost of the NVR is probably offsetting the cost of the power supply.

Keep in mind that the installer needs to mount water-tight junction boxes near each camera to terminate the connections into, electrical tape is not sufficient to keep water out.

Forgot to mention, the HVR (hybrid video recorder) for the HD-TVI cameras is rather large. It has internal components that convert the analog signal to digital, that's how you get 1080p over analog cabling. The NVR for the IP cameras will probably be smaller. If the recorder size matters.

What Is The Difference Between DVR vs NVR vs HVR?

NVR vs DVR, What's the Difference. NVR vs DVR sum-up: The biggest difference between NVR and DVR is the cameras and cabling they use. A network video recorder (NVR) records IP cameras wirelessly (WiFi NVR) or via Ethernet cables (PoE NVR), while a digital video recorder (DVR) records analog cameras via coaxial cables.

Read More. .. https://www.itsmarttricks.com/what-is-the-difference-between-dvr-vs-nvr-vs-hvr/