versed

Piecing together a system

I have been trying to get up the courage to piece together a PC based IP camera system for the past year. I've read lots of posts but still a lot of unanswered questions. Could anyone point me to a thread or a website that literally starts from scratch on building such a system, including setting up the software?

I've built my own computers for years so I've got a pretty good background there, but need help on POE router selection, and what to look for in software and cameras. I know this is not rocket science but there are still lots of terms and techniques I need to get a feel for before beginning.

thanks

I have been trying to get up the courage to piece together a PC based IP camera system for the past year. I've read lots of posts but still a lot of unanswered questions. Could anyone point me to a thread or a website that literally starts from scratch on building such a system, including setting up the software?

I've built my own computers for years so I've got a pretty good background there, but need help on POE router selection, and what to look for in software and cameras. I know this is not rocket science but there are still lots of terms and techniques I need to get a feel for before beginning.

thanks

Hi

so first you will need a POE switch so you wont take up too many ports on the router.. something like this http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430947257&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+switch

then, you need software to manage the cameras... I have CMS software I can give you, but it is a large file and I will need you to PM me your email address. With this software, you simply install it on the computer and you can view, record, manage and remote view your cameras! I will include the user manual.

this software will search your network and find the IP addresses of your cameras which are connected to your switch. You will need to make sure you get IP cameras that can be used with the serial number, I can help you find them if you need me to... this way you wont need to port forward or use DDNS

I appologize for piggy backing, but I am in very similar situation. I have build computers and DVR systems before, but once I had a suitable solution I ignored the CCTV scene until now.

I have a question on the set up, so for PCNVR the connection flow chart would be (PC Tower + Decoding/Recording Software) --> Switch <--- IP Cameras)

For the switch, what are some of the crucial bottlenecks to avoid?

Is bandwidth limitation a factor, how about MP's on the camera, I want to record 8 cameras at 30 fps at 2MP what is the maximum bandwidth required?

Any help is really appreciated,

Thanks

Thanks peaceflwr. I will be pm'ing you.

Also, glad you joined in notter. I have found tons of info, but I just can't find good articles that tie it all together.

Most of the stuff I've seen on switches indicate 10/100Mbps is sufficient for low end residential systems. Seems like you should be able to calculate based on number of cameras, frame rate, etc, but I don't have this skill.

Also, looks like an Intel i5 computer with onboard graphics should run a system fine.

Hope others will jump in with info.