OSRyx

General question about IP Cameras Cables

I have a couple of general questions about IP Cameras Cables :

From what I know in CCTV system, I can interconnect multiple IP Cameras to switchs that can be connected to central room for storage and use ....

We interconnect using cables so :

• is the expression "Ethernet cable" right ?!
  • some time I found on cameras an Ethernet (RJ-45) input /output and a digital input/output (+audio one), so if Ethernet get the images transfered to the central core of the system what does the digital in/out do ?
  • When we say that the IP Camera support PoE (Power over Ethernet), this is mean there is no need for a dedicated cable for only electricity ,right ? the Ethernet cable will transfer the electricity ?
  • some time when the IP Camera is far ... we rather use Optical Fiber ??? does it replace Ethernet cable ?? how about cable FTP Cat 6 ???

any help is a welcome : " title="Applause" />

I have a couple of general questions about IP Cameras Cables :

From what I know in CCTV system, I can interconnect multiple IP Cameras to switchs that can be connected to central room for storage and use ....

We interconnect using cables so :

• is the expression "Ethernet cable" right ?! YES, THE PROPER TERM IS ETHERNET
  • some time I found on cameras an Ethernet (RJ-45) input /output and a digital input/output (+audio one), so if Ethernet get the images transfered to the central core of the system what does the digital in/out do ?MOST IP CAMERAS WILL COME WITH THE RJ-45 PORT AND A POWER CABLE (THE RED CABLE), EVEN IF IT IS POE, IT WILL STILL COME WITH THE POWER CABLE. SOME ALSO COME WITH AUDIO CABLES.. IS THIS WHAT YOU ARE REFERING TO?
  • When we say that the IP Camera support PoE (Power over Ethernet), this is mean there is no need for a dedicated cable for only electricity ,right ? the Ethernet cable will transfer the electricity ?YES, POE MEANS THE ETHERNET CABLE WILL PROVIDE POWER, BUT YOU DO HAVE TO HAVE EITHER A POE SWITCH OR A POE NVR FOR IT TO WORK
  • some time when the IP Camera is far ... we rather use Optical Fiber ??? does it replace Ethernet cable ?? how about cable FTP Cat 6 ???

HOW FAR ARE YOU TALKING?

any help is a welcome : " title="Applause" />

What is the maximum distance you can reliable receive good signal on ethernet?

I am thinking of running a wire for about 250/300ft. Would that be too far for ethernet (POE)? If so what are the alternatives?

Thanks

What is the maximum distance you can reliable receive good signal on ethernet?

I am thinking of running a wire for about 250/300ft. Would that be too far for ethernet (POE)? If so what are the alternatives?

Thanks

the max distance for RG-59 cable is 328ft. That is also the max for POE, so for what you need you will be fine... if you want to go further than 328ft, you would need to go to fiber optics with a POE media converter which will conver the fiber to copper and will send the power over a UTP cable. BUT, you will be fine if you want the run to be less than 328ft.

Also, for IP Camera purposes, is there a preferred Ethernet cable to use i.e cat5, 5e, 6, or 6a?

Also, for IP Camera purposes, is there a preferred Ethernet cable to use i.e cat5, 5e, 6, or 6a?

go with cat5e (cat 5 enhanced) or cat 6... cat 5e can handle up to 1000Mbps at 100 MHz, but some people like to 'future proof' by installing cat 6, which will handle 10 Gigabit at 250 MHz... cat 6 costs more though and you'll be fine with 5e.