Sign in to follow this  
garybdavis

Server Hardware Recommendation for 8 x 3&5MP System

I’m building a component based system and need some feedback on a couple of things. Here are the details:

8 x POE cameras, mix of 5MP and 3MP

Dell T20 server running Milestone XProtect Go

Will a Dell T20 server (Xeon 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM) be about right for this number of cameras at 3 & 5MP?

Milestone list the minimum requirement of Xeon 2.0GHz. The client will be on my laptop (i7 4600).

The only thing I’ve purchase so far is a 3S 5MP box camera that I’ve mounted in a Pelco 3512 with heater/defrost/fan. I’ve bench tested it, figure out all the bitrate/GOP settings and I’m happy with it.

I’ve got the PoE/switch solution figured out for my two remote buildings (Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5, cheap 4 port switch, separate injectors for 24/48v), but for the house, I need to update the switch to GE. I know the camera ports can be 10/100 but would want GE for the connection to the server.

Also, for a camera network this size, would it be best to put the cameras, server and client laptop on a GE switch? I would then run that switch into a router port. That way all of the traffic would stay off the router except for my DDNS base viewing (phone/web apps).

Thanks,

Gary