cinick

Can wireless CCTV work without wifi

Hi all,

I'm Rick from New Zealand and have been googling this question for weeks as well as visiting electronic shops where the assistants really have no idea. Then I stumbled across this forum and thought.......these guts will know.

I have a farm where I run youth camps. There is no wifi or cellular reception on the inner part of the hill area on the farm.

In that area we have built huts where we run youth camps and what I am wanting to do is set up wireless cameras within about 300m of the hut and have a receiver in the hut. I'm not worried about the power side of the cameras or receiver as we will run them individually off DC batteries as we don't have mains power.

However, I'm unsure if these CCTV systems require a wifi network or data/cell coverage to communicate between the camera and receiver/viewer.

Part of what we do is take kids goat hunting but when we have 30 odd kids its impossible to hunt as they are way too noisy. Thats where I thought we could set up cameras and as we are in the hut we could also watch to see if any animals come out onto the clearings, just so the kids can see them.

Hopefully that all made sense and thanks for your time,

Rick

Depending on your power situation, you could get a wifi router to connect to the WIFI cameras, you wouldn't need actual internet service, you could work off the internal IP of the router to transmit the IP Cameras video wireless.