jenjones

Backup power for CCTV system?

I have just installed new CCTV system at our office. I am planning to install some sort of backup system so that it won’t fail during a power outage. I think a stativolt inverter, www.staticon.ca/product-detail/stativolt-inverters is the best solution, but some people suggested that UPS will be a better option. Which one should I opt for? If inverter is the good option should I buy a pure sine wave inverter or cheaper modified sine wave inverter is good enough?

Is the inverter not simply the UPS without a battery ? It seems that way to me, but I'm happy to be corrected.

If I'm right though, unless you already have a battery bank I would go for the UPS.

My old system was entirely run on 12V with a power supply charger running it. The vast majority of cams use 12vdc happily and some DVR's have 12v inputs. Effectively the whole system except the monitor ran from the battery with the charger keeping it boosted(this was a special cctv charger/power supply)

My new system(on it's way!) will just use a standard UPS(1500va) which should run the whole lot for quite a while if the monitor is off. I rarely get power interruptions anyway and most are of fairly short duration. I do get little ones periodically when storms hit or a car hits a power pole or even when the power company turns the power off for works and the 7ah 12v battery has been able to outlast all but one which was a 2 day outage due to severe storms wiping out the huge feeder lines to the area. There's not a lot you can do about those! My UPS has 24Ah on board so this should be even better

Just get yourself a nice sized UPS and don't run anything else off it if possible to ensure max runtime.

I think ups would be quite enough resource. But if there is electricity issue in your area, they you should opt for Inverter. Because UPS will give you power backup up to maximum 30 minutes.

Check out some of the larger UPS mfg websites APC, Tripplite minute man etc they have all kinds of tools for run times and types to use for different kinds of equipment. We used a lot of tripp lite stuff over the years and had good results.