Djstorm100

Picking out a system?

Looking to get a 4 channel (like to have 8 channel dvr) system that won't break the bank to terribly but not china junk either.

Must have are:

780P or better

PoE

IP system so I can view anywhere by app or IP.

at least 82 feet NV

White in color cameras to make house.

Not deal breakers:

8 channel dvr with 4 channel system. This is so I can expand if need to later on.

Why POE? And if you're going with POE, it wouldn't be a "dvr" it would be an NVR.

Typically, I've found that POE cameras usually cost more that POW cameras as well. Many POE cameras have the ability to have SD cards internally and I usually only price someone a POE system if they are in need of that feature, don't have the money to buy an NVR/DVR, they are in need of a POE featured system or their home is prewired with CAT5/6 already and it's not feasible to replace the wire.

Going to be difficult to find any "non-china junk", 8 channel NVR under $1k USD.

Entry level, 8 channel, 1TB name brand NVR is around $1500 compared to an entry level, 8 channel, 2TB name brand DVR for $350. Not really apples to apples, 10 year warranty compared to 2 year advanced replacement.

Why POE? And if you're going with POE, it wouldn't be a "dvr" it would be an NVR.

Typically, I've found that POE cameras usually cost more that POW cameras as well. Many POE cameras have the ability to have SD cards internally and I usually only price someone a POE system if they are in need of that feature, don't have the money to buy an NVR/DVR, they are in need of a POE featured system or their home is prewired with CAT5/6 already and it's not feasible to replace the wire.

Going to be difficult to find any "non-china junk", 8 channel NVR under $1k USD.

Entry level, 8 channel, 1TB name brand NVR is around $1500 compared to an entry level, 8 channel, 2TB name brand DVR for $350. Not really apples to apples, 10 year warranty compared to 2 year advanced replacement.

PoE ease of installation.

Please dont listen to HeightsCCTV....good 8ch NVR's dont cost 1000. ANY half decent ip camera will have POE. Whether or not a camera has an SD card has nothing to do with POE. Someone who suggests replacing ethernet has no business giving advice on this forum

There are great cameras from hikvision and dahua - both reputable reliable companies. This lorex system is a rebranded Dahua system and will meet you needs.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100153164.html

If you have a bigger budget, this 4mp system is on sale for 1300. It is also a rebranded dahua system.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-4MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100213199.html

This is a rebranded hikvision system with 6 cameras - note you need to add your own driver (these hikvision cameras are not compatible with the standard hikvision 2cd-xxxx firmware, they have their own special firmware)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881183053&cm_re=laview-_-81-183-053-_-Product

You can also piece together your own system, just make sure that you buy US region hikvision cameras..many sold on amazon and aliepress are english language but NOT us region and you will have issues with firmware upgrades.

Please dont listen to HeightsCCTV....good 8ch NVR's dont cost 1000. ANY half decent ip camera will have POE. Whether or not a camera has an SD card has nothing to do with POE. Someone who suggests replacing ethernet has no business giving advice on this forum

There are great cameras from hikvision and dahua - both reputable reliable companies. This lorex system is a rebranded Dahua system and will meet you needs.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100153164.html

If you have a bigger budget, this 4mp system is on sale for 1300. It is also a rebranded dahua system.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-4MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100213199.html

This is a rebranded hikvision system with 6 cameras - note you need to add your own driver (these hikvision cameras are not compatible with the standard hikvision 2cd-xxxx firmware, they have their own special firmware)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881183053&cm_re=laview-_-81-183-053-_-Product

You can also piece together your own system, just make sure that you buy US region hikvision cameras..many sold on amazon and aliepress are english language but NOT us region and you will have issues with firmware upgrades.

Thank you! How can you tell is something is just a re-badge system? I would more incline to use the new egg system as it is cheaper but quality is still on par. with the other two from costco (plus I don't have a membership)

If you go to the new egg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881183053&cm_re=laview-_-81-183-053-_-Product

and scroll down to the video (2nd one) where he shows the cameras I notice there was a pretty consisterable delay, while it records everything still the delay was half second. Is this normal or does setting need to be adjusted?

lastly reading the reviews one poster said "Ah I had some issues trying to get all 6 camera's to display Hd streams simultaneously. It has something called "main stream" and "sub stream" feeds that each camera can stream. The problem is that if you max out the quality and resolution of all 6 camera's the recorder hits a bandwidth limit that does not allow live view or recording at maximum resolution. So I found I had to lower all 6 camera's to 1 setting below maximum quality ie: 4096kb/s vs 8000kb/s. Then it seems to run all 6 at decent quality. Also the only way I could tell what stream the camera's were using was thru the internet interface, not thru the software of the dvr..."

Is there anything that can be done so all 6 cameras are ran at the highest setting for best performance?

You mention the firmware. Where and how would I know what in getting is correct since they have their own special one?

A slight delay is normal with ip systems..who cares...its being recorded.

The 1300 costco system is a 4mp so there is a bit more resolution...

There are various ways to tell about the rebrand..ususally looking at the firmware...You dont need to view a the mainstream live..when the cameras are shown in a matrix the substream is just fine. 4096 is way more than sufficient to get a great image...that is what I run all my 2 and 3mp cams at...you will not notice a degradation.

A slight delay is normal with ip systems..who cares...its being recorded.

The 1300 costco system is a 4mp so there is a bit more resolution...

There are various ways to tell about the rebrand..ususally looking at the firmware...You dont need to view a the mainstream live..when the cameras are shown in a matrix the substream is just fine. 4096 is way more than sufficient to get a great image...that is what I run all my 2 and 3mp cams at...you will not notice a degradation.

Thank you, I'm very new to this and the specs and "IT" part of it I'm not very familiar with. Although I did network the computers at my fathers business, however that's pretty easy.

Does either the $800 Lorex or $1300 Q-See system require "port forwarding"? I have ATT Uverse and I've heard that it's a huge PITA to port forward. I don't even know what port forwarding means, so I'm nervous about having to do that.

Thank you!

Try Xanview - they have some very budget friendly NVRs and manufactured by Intel - so it's good quality stuff.

You work for them?

...or rebranded junk. All those systems listed don't use surveillance specific hard disks...and can easily be taken out with a plastic base ball bat.

You don't have to listen to me. But listen to this: In addition to selling and installing CCTV systems, I replace quite a few of those box sets from Costco, Sam's and Fry's. $1700 for a Q-see? Wow! Limited to a 1 year warranty too, even with Costco's Lifetime satisfaction because it has a hard drive.

Yeah, a slight delay is no big deal when you're using a surveillance system for surveilling...

I have an 8 channel TVI system with a 2 year advanced replacement warranty for $1470 that you can park a dump truck on a camera and it'll still be in one piece. 2TB Western Digital Purple drives...meant for surveillance. In addition to the waste that Newbieman was suggesting, the motion zones on that Q-see system are limited and (aside from selecting or deselecting a grid) have no customization. Also...cables...limited footage in the box. So you have a 20' run and you want to cut down that POE latency a bit...well you have 80' spooled up that doesn't get used. Even if that system WAS on sale for $1300, read the reviews!

Was a little late responding, been busy replacing systems that Boogieman was suggesting.