Sign in to follow this  
madzook

Camera power help

Hi all,

New to the forum would like to say hello,

Ive just purchased a small cctv camera i would like to use this camera just for in my bird avairy as i have a few that has just bred,

the problem i have is im not sure what leads etc i need to get for the camera.

I only want to use the camera to view it on the monitor in my shed so i dont need to do any recording.

The 3 cables on the camera are red/white/yellow

The white and yellow looks like female fitting and the red looks like male,Not sure what cables i need to just view this on a monitor if any one can help would be much appreciated and if you could post a link to the correct leads i needs would be great

Mnay thanks andy

This is the camera ive got

1960482954__12.JPG.cd4cb1aab915002af4a356ceabf1d90c.JPG

Hi Andy

RED is power, you will need a adapter, not sure what voltage you need but looks like 12v dc

YELLOW is video, you have a female RCA connector there so you will need a RCA male lead that will run from the cable to your monitor, just make sure your monitor has a AV input

WHITE is audio, also needs a RCA male lead that runs into the Audio port on your monitor ( AV inputs )

regards

RCA.thumb.jpg.5c1f29f4b7ca669e09f5bbe99f42cea4.jpg

dc.thumb.jpg.e743ab771a9fc1a3c0acfab880209d95.jpg

Hi Andy

RED is power, you will need a adapter, not sure what voltage you need but looks like 12v dc

YELLOW is video, you have a female RCA connector there so you will need a RCA male lead that will run from the cable to your monitor, just make sure your monitor has a AV input

WHITE is audio, also needs a RCA male lead that runs into the Audio port on your monitor ( AV inputs )

regards

thanks topchips

for the power supply 12v what amp would it need to be 1-2-5amp

thanks andy

Almost always, the power is 12v...like just about...always.

But in this case, that camera seems to be an oddball if it's anything like these two 9v cameras:

http://www.amazon.com/Globalebuy-Security-Camera-Infrared-Vision/dp/B00BTVIT34

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XQVJUW

(that one says in the Q&A about 9v)

So yeah...9v...weird indeed!

That is if your camera is like those in the above links.

And 1amp usually does great for just 6' of cable (the camera probably pulls around 100ma). And even those two Amazon cams above talk about 1amp. But if you run...say...100 or 150 feet of cable to the camera, then you'll want about 2amps as the long cable run you'll lose some juice. But it is handy to have your power supply back by your DVR and then simply run a single siamese cable of both video + power out to the camera.