Sign in to follow this  
thetester

Need suggestions on NVR bundle or building a system

Hello guys, I am new to your forums so please be kind if I say something that doesn't exactly pass muster with a lot of you seasoned guys in your field. First off I have almost no experience with surveillance systems or their components.. I have however done a lot of reading and learning.. After all this reading I still find myself overwhelmed on choices that I may could make choosing a system.. I don't think it would be possible for me or anyone for a matter of fact to read enough or learn what is needed to wade through all the options, gimicks, trickery and terminology the vendors are advertising to sale their cameras..

Please could you guys weigh in and steer me in the right direction on what to look at in order to get the best QUALITY and BANG for my buck so to say..

The environment.. I live in VERY rural country located in "AL U.S." in which I need to monitor.. The area to monitor is about 40 yards from my home to the wood line all around the home.. The cameras will be placed under the sofit of the roof.. I could care less but should I care about being covert???..

I have done some homework on types of cameras so I can say that I FEEL like we should go with a FULL HD 1080p bullet or dome cameras to be able to zoom in the long distances and acquire clear face images or item images that thieves may have in their hands..

We do not have high speed internet where we live and probably will not over the next five years or more.. That said the internet viewing would be all but useless to me.. What we need is quality video that can be zoomed with clear indisputable precise images.. For the NVR unit Motion triggering and alarms we think important since we are away a lot.. PTZ capable for later is a must.. 16 channels for later expanding is a must.. We need about 4 cameras to start..

Should we look at NVR bundles that is ready to go or should we be better off piecing the system together to get better cameras for the money spent?? We have looked at Qsee and Lorex bundles and course the china route.. I have just recently seen dahua and another but I can't say I know anything of them... Actually we know nothing of what is actually good or trusted in the camera surveillance world.. We just want to make sure we get a quality camera that will not fail us after a month or two or even a year of use..

Here comes the dreaded whats your pocket like.... Well we can spend up to 1K U.S. dollars on the system.. I know its awesome to have an endless budget so we can say OH you need this or that to get GREAT cameras but simply put most of us don't..

Thanks for ANY help and advice you guys will have to steer me in the right direction or information I may can use to help us achieve the surveillance we need..

TheTester....

Im not exactly sure how that question is relevant but I have no problem answering it.. We own a lot of machinery and tools that do set out from time to time.. In our area we have had a rash of theft whether it is tractor implements, tools, atv's, you name it if it isn't bolted down it has been taken.. I have lived here all my life and just recently have we had this issue.. We are worried of an eventual break in or an outright theft of our expensive items such and jet skis or atv's, or even a backhoe..

These hoodlums like to ride atv's up and down the roads and drives late at night or like 3 in the morning.. They case out items they think they will make a go for and then BAM... Most of times than not they case at night and come back in the broad daylight while folks are at work and just get what they want!!!

We want indisputable proof of who these individuals are and what they take.. We will also try and monitor the drive and road in hopes to catch the atv's they ride and maybe a face..

Im not exactly sure how that question is relevant but I have no problem answering it.. We own a lot of machinery and tools that do set out from time to time.. In our area we have had a rash of theft whether it is tractor implements, tools, atv's, you name it if it isn't bolted down it has been taken.. I have lived here all my life and just recently have we had this issue.. We are worried of an eventual break in or an outright theft of our expensive items such and jet skis or atv's, or even a backhoe..

These hoodlums like to ride atv's up and down the roads and drives late at night or like 3 in the morning.. They case out items they think they will make a go for and then BAM... Most of times than not they case at night and come back in the broad daylight while folks are at work and just get what they want!!!

We want indisputable proof of who these individuals are and what they take.. We will also try and monitor the drive and road in hopes to catch the atv's they ride and maybe a face..

Its relevant because if you have a stucture there you can mount the cameras closer. Any kit you buy will be useless to you...you need cameras with serious zoom if you want to watch activity 40m away. You are looking at expensive PTZ cameras....figure out a way to mount the cameras closer.

Thank you very much for your reply.. I don't have to make it the 40 yards.. I am more worried on clear precise images at any range.. My home has backhoes, atv's and other implements that sit close to the home but not all the way to those wood lines.. I was merely stating how far it is from my home to the woodline that will be monitored but not necessarily expect to zoom all the way to the extent of the property..

What I really am asking for is information on reasonable equipment I may obtain in my price range and where and what should I start looking for.. If that means I have to settle for this equipment or that I will have to do so and place my items within monitoring distance..

Again here is what I am looking for but would like help on choosing

best possible feature rich

16 channel NVR unit with alarms and ptz option

2-3 MP cams with IR night ablility over CAT5 1080P Full HD

Im not sure what name or features/options to look for in these items..

IS it cheaper and do I get more buying a bundle??

Do I get more features and quality building a system for the same money??

What names to look for and stay away from??

Thank you very much for your reply.. I don't have to make it the 40 yards.. I am more worried on clear precise images at any range.. My home has backhoes, atv's and other implements that sit close to the home but not all the way to those wood lines.. I was merely stating how far it is from my home to the woodline that will be monitored but not necessarily expect to zoom all the way to the extent of the property..

What I really am asking for is information on reasonable equipment I may obtain in my price range and where and what should I start looking for.. If that means I have to settle for this equipment or that I will have to do so and place my items within monitoring distance..

Again here is what I am looking for but would like help on choosing

best possible feature rich

16 channel NVR unit with alarms and ptz option

2-3 MP cams with IR night ablility over CAT5 1080P Full HD

Im not sure what name or features/options to look for in these items..

IS it cheaper and do I get more buying a bundle??

Do I get more features and quality building a system for the same money??

What names to look for and stay away from??

Start reading the megapixel portion of the forum there are tons of threads about various systems and brands. Look at hikvision or dahua and their rebranded counterparts, swann and qsee (available at costco)...