Sign in to follow this  
maxwolfie

Basic single camera to monitor across the front of house

Hi all,

I am after a single outdoor camera to monitor across the front of our house (driveway, lawn area etc). It is fairly wide block (18m or 59ft) but the road is not too far from the house (i.e. objects of interest will always be less than 18m from the camera).

I have a server running 24/7 for other tasks so I was thinking of running some sort of NVR software on it. I am not sure whether to run a power extension lead along with the ethernet cable or just buy a POE injector or switch.

I may end up buying a second camera for the backyard mounted under a patio (mainly to see what the dog is up to, but also for security purposes).

• Night performance is important
  • I was hoping to find a camera that also has an in-built sensor light as that will kill two birds with one stone
  • Budget around $150 or $200 for the camera itself, I am not sure about injector/switch

I would consider the Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I or the Dahua IPC-HDW4421C. 6mm or 4mm lens.

Don't expect a single camera to give you anything in the way of useful evidence in the event of a break in, but if just seeing what is going on out the front is all you are after then one of those should fit the bill.