Sign in to follow this  
electricmarquis

Switching from analog to HD-SDI?

My current system is a Defender 8ch 960h DVR and mutiple cheap dome analog cameras. Most are 800tvl and I have a few 1200 tvl vari-focal i-secu domes. I also run two of the defender 800tvl pro cams. I am just not pleased with the quality and should have done more homework before buying a into system. It operates great just not happy with the video quality.

My questions are based on switching my DVR and cams out for a HD system and keeping the bnc runs.

1. Will the cheapo pre-made bnc cables carry a hd signal? These cables are the cheap thin ones that come with the defender-usa system. Some are 60ft and I have three 150ft runs.

2. I also have 6 spare cat5e cables run from the dvr rack to the attic in support of future equipment. If I went hd over coax system could I then run the cat5e converters to make the end bnc and have them work with the hd analog system?

Qualitywise, HD-SDI is the best. But somewhat expensive more than other competing products, say HD-CVI, HD-TVI, and HD-AHD, etc. All of these run on BNC cables. The cable distance does not seem to be an issue (max 150ft). The thickness of cable does not prove to be a factor of cable quality.

Maybe a 16 channel hybrid dvr would be great. The ability to run analog and ip cams would be fantastic. It would keep me from having to rerun a couple of bnc runs that were hell.

Suggestions on that? I have found a few but they limit the ip cams to 2-4.

So If i went analog HD then I would not have to repull anything that I already have bnc to? So I could run this system?

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-12-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100163008.html

Then for the exterior of my home in all upper four corners I could use my cat5e runs with bnc/power baluns on them for additional 4 runs?

I have been trying to find the rebranded units from higher end makers. Cant seem to find a definitive list. Are all Lorex units rebranded Hikvisions?

I think I have decided on Dahua 5216A-S2. The other ones in the price range don't seem to have at least 2 audio channels. I currently have two mics running on my 960h dvr. I know its HD-cvi. I looked up the bnc runs I bought previously for the analog and they say will not support HD sdi.

Any other dvr suggestions comprable to the above Dahua?

Wants:

HD 1080 and 960h

At least 2 audio ch

16ch

Also which WD 4tb purple to get?

As far as I know, Daihua has the only one that supplies its HD-CVI receiver chip set and controls a few HD-CVI DVR makers. I believe that the HD-CVI DVR can also handle (receive) the conventional anlaog camera (NTSC,PAL) and, at the same time, HD-CVI camera output through BNC cable. So, I do not disagree to your selection.