bterra

confused newbie.

Hi guys,

Sorry for my newbie question but after a string of recent break-in in my area i though it would be a good time to get a system to keep an eye on things when i'm not home. I was looking for something like this:

https://www.lorextechnology.com/HD-IP-security-camera-system/HD-NVR-Surveillance-System-with-4-Full-1080p-HD-Cameras/LNR84.p

but don't hear very good things about this and competing manufacturers. The features on the above are exactly what i'm looking for but want to get them from a reputable manufacturer. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. I'm happy to pay for the right hardware. Because i'm such a newb i wanted to see the higher end guys bundle stuff together but i'm having trouble finding that.

Thank you guys!

LNR400 is a good NVR for beginners (deal allot with Lorex and they are a not bad company, cx service is meh but tech support is amazing).

With that said, for the money you would be better getting something like the LHV2000, its a cheaper system also at 1080P. but its a BNC DVR not an NVR.

The only real - is less settings on the camera (cameras are plug and play for example with no real set up or ability to set up complicated software things which will probably just confuse and over complicate things anyways).

NOW

if you are working with a large building with an already established IP (RJ45, otherwise known as Ethernet cable) an NVR is a good choice because you do not need to run your lines all the way back to your system and you can just patch it into the nearest drop point (with use of POE switch or rj45 power injectors.

I would only recommend the LHV2000 because the LHV1000 is 720P and very limited on cameras while the LHV2000 is 1080P and you can use 960H cameras if you really wanted to.

I will admit I only work with Lorex/Flir products so I cannot speak to anything else but if you need help their tech support is life time so theirs that.

*Note currently only Costco sells the LHV2000 but if you have a membership its worth a look(same price point 4 more cameras with capability of up to 16 cameras)*

http://www.costco.ca/Lorex%C2%AE-16-channel-1080p-DVR-Surveillance-System-with-2-TB-HDD-and-8-1080p-Bullet-Cameras.product.100225924.html

What ever you do as nice as wireless cameras look DONT. Wireless is crap if you want it to actually be reliable nothing beats a solid wire.

Consider all these requirements and then buy cameras individually to make your set security friendly and diverse.

http://thesecuritycamera.org/what-is-the-best-security-camera-system/

Edited by Guest

I have tested this system few days ago. All hardware being from the system manufacturer it works well together. It does have a nice mobile app for controlling the NVR and cameras. The user interface on the NVR looks outdated and hasn't been updated for years but it does work well. The cameras did have nice image day and night and I was able to see my neighbors house which is over 100ft away at night. You can also get push notifications to your iPhone from the NVR for motion and you can setup areas for the camera to ignore motion so its not recording at all time, areas like trees or neighbors house to be ignored. I do like the system and I'm actually think about customizing my own with the higher end cameras they have with the 2.8mm and varifocal but my concern is the customer service as I was reading on costoc.com it might not be that great. Costco also offers the system your interested in for $100 cheaper but you will also get costco customer service where they will call the manufacturer if you have any issues with the 2 year warranty they offer. I recommend getting the system from costco if you end choosing it.

FYI, I did test the system which i got from costco and it was missing some parts so I contacted costco and within 4 days I had the parts at my house. I end up returning it because I'm testing some other systems so I can make my final decision and so far Lorex has been at the top of the list due to the mobile app, camera quality and how easy it is to use. The reviews on costco and lorex website indicate there are a lot of happy clients with the systems its just the customer service from Lorex might not be that great.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,