fast_cat

Looking for non-subscription mobile view camera, no router

I was going to use my mom's $600 Logitech Alert 700i camera system that she doesn't use anymore, but it requires a connection to a wireless router and a recurring PAID subscription to be able to view alerts through a mobile app or email. I also don't like the fact that I HAVE to use the wireless feature of it, with two massive AC adapters hogging my outlets. I also don't want to use a router because even with a strong password it could be hacked into, especially while it's on 24/7.

I am looking for a camera that I can just hook directly to my computer with USB (maybe just a webcam) that will record when motion is detected, and that will either send me an email with still images from which I can tell if there's an intruder, or a feature where I can view live video from my Android cell phone. There's probably an application that I don't know about that will do this for me while only using a webcam but it's hard to find it with a google search. I shouldn't have to pay for a subscription since email is free, I could write a program in a week that does this for me if I learned how to program.

I will have this camera hidden in a plant pot at the top of my stairwell, pointed down the stairwell with motion detection on so I may catch an intruder's face, and while I'm at work I want to be able to see from an email or app on my phone what the camera sees/saw so I can quickly call the police and attempt to confront the intruder.

It is difficult to browse cameras online without watching video reviews, and even then, the reviews often leave crucial information out. I'm hoping someone here knows the best way to go about securing my apartment without spending more than $200 or paying for a subscription. Thanks!

I was going to use my mom's $600 Logitech Alert 700i camera system that she doesn't use anymore, but it requires a connection to a wireless router and a recurring PAID subscription to be able to view alerts through a mobile app or email. I also don't like the fact that I HAVE to use the wireless feature of it, with two massive AC adapters hogging my outlets. I also don't want to use a router because even with a strong password it could be hacked into, especially while it's on 24/7.

I am looking for a camera that I can just hook directly to my computer with USB (maybe just a webcam) that will record when motion is detected, and that will either send me an email with still images from which I can tell if there's an intruder, or a feature where I can view live video from my Android cell phone. There's probably an application that I don't know about that will do this for me while only using a webcam but it's hard to find it with a google search. I shouldn't have to pay for a subscription since email is free, I could write a program in a week that does this for me if I learned how to program.

I will have this camera hidden in a plant pot at the top of my stairwell, pointed down the stairwell with motion detection on so I may catch an intruder's face, and while I'm at work I want to be able to see from an email or app on my phone what the camera sees/saw so I can quickly call the police and attempt to confront the intruder.

It is difficult to browse cameras online without watching video reviews, and even then, the reviews often leave crucial information out. I'm hoping someone here knows the best way to go about securing my apartment without spending more than $200 or paying for a subscription. Thanks!

If you want to use a webcam you can use blue iris...you are better off simply using an ip camera. It can be wired or wireless. Hikvision makes great cube cameras...your computer can be hacked just as well..use an ip camera, you will be better off....