Sign in to follow this  
bozman

Bullet or dome style cameras

Depends on the scenario.

Bullet-Dome-Turret

Bullet cams are included in a lot of kits, probably because they are slightly faster to screw in. Usually they come with mental shell with IP66. But you still need to take care of them since nature is more powerful.

But if your cam is anywhere close to where people can reach it, then a vandal-resistant dome camera would be called for.

Turret (looks like a ball) cams are also popular, I usually get them requested for indoors in professional offices. But they make outdoor-weatherproof types of this kind.

So is there any specific situation where turret, dome or bullet styles would be preferred over the other?

Yes. there are a bunch of threads that discuss this.

Ah, I see so it is just for looks and how visible it is. Some locations visibility of camera is good while others it isn't so good(restaurants, etc...).

I do have a question, outside such as a brick wall or a exterior with siding which style do you recommend? Dome/Turret or Bullet? Would you suggest mounting cameras on a bracket or mount?

I had one installer just badmouth bullet cameras.

Depends on the scenario.

Bullet-Dome-Turret

Bullet cams are included in a lot of kits, probably because they are slightly faster to screw in. Usually they come with mental shell with IP66. But you still need to take care of them since nature is more powerful.

But if your cam is anywhere close to where people can reach it, then a vandal-resistant dome camera would be called for.

Turret (looks like a ball) cams are also popular, I usually get them requested for indoors in professional offices. But they make outdoor-weatherproof types of this kind.

I had an installer just go for dome/turret. He just bad mouthed bullets. A lot of the costco kits have bullet cameras such as Lorex and Samsung. My previous experience with cameras are with indoor dome cameras.

I had an installer just go for dome/turret. He just bad mouthed bullets. A lot of the costco kits have bullet cameras such as Lorex and Samsung. My previous experience with cameras are with indoor dome cameras.

Opinions vary from person to person, you know that.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27272

In fact, bullet cams are used widely in outdoors while dome, turret cams indoors.

That thread is old and does not discuss turrets in detail. Turrets are better than bullets, particularly outdoors where someone can easily knock a bullet out of position. The hikvision turrets have better IR than the bullerts. Turret style cameras also are MUCH less susceptible to spider web reflection at night.

In fact, bullet cams are used widely in outdoors while dome, turret cams indoors.

That thread is old and does not discuss turrets in detail. Turrets are better than bullets, particularly outdoors where someone can easily knock a bullet out of position. The hikvision turrets have better IR than the bullerts. Turret style cameras also are MUCH less susceptible to spider web reflection at night.

But a fact you have to admit is that bullets are usually easier to mount and install than turrets, especially outside such as a brick wall or a exterior with siding, as they are point-and-shoot. Attach them to the wall and they are good to go. Turret cameras are more likely to require dismounting to adjust the direction.

But a fact you have to admit is that bullets are usually easier to mount and install than turrets, especially outside such as a brick wall or a exterior with siding, as they are point-and-shoot. Attach them to the wall and they are good to go. Turret cameras are more likely to require dismounting to adjust the direction.

Nope, You do NOT have to dismount a turret to adjust it, just loosen the little screw that holds it tight. Regardless, even if you had to, its a one time event. There is no reason to use the basic bullet. It provides no useful benefit. Now, there are some bullets with features and IR options not available on some turrets, but that's a different issue.

go with turrets.

Why? Why is it better than dome?

read the threads

which ones? Searched and there are too many in the result to look, and a lot are not useful.

Okay I do see some advantages on bullet by looking at the video of turret camera. Not easy to turn it in other direction by throwing stuff at it.

However if I wanted to keep an eye on the surface that it was mounted should it be mounted on a bracket to get a better angle on viewing anybody who might want to spray on it or something?

What are each style best suited for?

Hello Bozman,

These days, there is not any technical difference between bullets and dome cameras. You can find bullets cameras and dome cameras with the same specifications. Its up to you. Depending where you want to use it, you can choose one solution or other. If you are gonna use it in a resturant, at home, or inside the office, I would suggest dome cameras. But, as I say, it's up to you.

If you want know more, please write me a private message and I will give you a specific solution for your case.

Regards.