fireman_pete

Newbie-Need Suggestions for a 4-8 channel POE System

I am looking to install a new POE camera system for our house. I am looking at an 8 channel system, and will most likely need 6 cameras. Trying to stay around $500. What would be the best option?

Thanks

Pete

Friendly reminder:POE is used to send power and video over a network cable but you are limited in range, routers and cameras.

Range is never an issue in a home...a single cable can be run 328 feet. Not sure what routers have to do with this, you can use any router you want. You are not limited in cameras..what are you talking about? Any chance you are Sunnykim's cousin in china?

I am looking to install a new POE camera system for our house. I am looking at an 8 channel system, and will most likely need 6 cameras. Trying to stay around $500. What would be the best option?

Thanks

Pete

It will be tough to meet the 500 mark, unless you wait for sales...look at hikvision or dahua systems and or their rebranded equivalents swann and qsee/lorex respectively (at costco).

Hey ,guy .Are you kidding me ,what I am talking is just a warm-hearted reminder .Take it easy.

Take it easy? NOTHING you said is accurate. Why are you simply posting nonsense? Its better to be silent than post misinformation.

Hi. With your budget then 960h cameras and dvr is going to be your limit can be picked up for less that your budget

The other way is to do your system over time buy just starting off with a NVR and 2 cameras and keep adding when budget allows

First buy a 8 way NVR

To avoid compatibility problems stick with same brand cameras and NVR.

ie Hikvision cameras with Hikvision NVR

Dahua cameras with Dahua NVR etc...

Dont even consider 960h...720p should be your minimum 1080 would be better..Id you want an ip system, 500 is insufficient..but if you are going to go analog, then at least go HD with a tvi system like this.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/swann-8ch-1080p-8x8-1080p/prod19070375.ip?navAction=

Its a rebranded hikvision 1080p TVI...

Though and IP POE system is a much better option...and can be had for 700-800 when on sale for about 6 cams...

Wish you would give it a rest

960h works and $500 budget ... Allows a system to be bought

All most all 960h will allow to use. Both 960 and 720

Wish you would give it a rest

960h works and $500 budget ... Allows a system to be bought

All most all 960h will allow to use. Both 960 and 720

Why give it a rest? I posted a link to a 500 dollar 1080p system. Why in the world should OP go for a 960h system that is 1/4 the resolution. Makes no sense. 960h systems should not be installed in 2015. Anyone doing so is committing malpractice and a complete disservice to their clients simply to save a few dollars (literally a few). 960h systems do not support 720p. Its the other way around. Most 720/1080p systems also support analog. IF OP took your advice and purchased a 960h system he would NOT be able to use a 720p camera with it.

So please give recommending 960h systems a rest, its improper terrible advice. Thanks

Why should it not be installed ...... It available and in his price

And don't say it does not work

Yes you have IP yes you have analog 960 or 720

They will all do the job ..... It depends on a persons budget

Take the Swann link .....that is a senternal unit swanns own

Cheap and a very basic app when it stays running

A $500 budget will be difficult to meet for a IP based POE security system.

If you are good with computers and have a decent desktop PC kicking around gathering dust, you may want to consider building a PC based system with VMS software and add cameras/licences slowly...

It doesnt work. A 960h DVR as you stated CANNOT handle a 720p camera. It just doesnt work that way.

If a 1080p meets the op's budget why in the world would you recommend 960h over 1080p?

It doesnt work. A 960h DVR as you stated CANNOT handle a 720p camera. It just doesnt work that way.

If a 1080p meets the op's budget why in the world would you recommend 960h over 1080p?

Listen like the rest am not going to get into a fight with you

ALL DAHUA OR HIK 960h also take 720 AHD

I have worked with the Swann listed it's crap ..... Slow and choppy

It's not just about price ...... It's what is best for his budget

But please don't say it does not work that way most 960 AHD do

Listen like the rest am not going to get into a fight with you

ALL DAHUA OR HIK 960h also take 720 AHD

I have worked with the Swann listed it's crap ..... Slow and choppy

It's not just about price ...... It's what is best for his budget

But please don't say it does not work that way most 960 AHD do

You are the one who mentioned a low end swann system. The system I linked to is a HIKVISION TVI system rebranded as swann. You are simply wrong about a 960h system accepting AHD. That is impossible. I think what you mean is an AHD system also accepts 960h, and that is NOT what you recommended. It is malpractice and unprofessional to install 960h in 2015 and more importantly, silly when you can get a hikvision TVI system that is 1080p for the same cost.

yes we are all best moving to hikvision

Nothing else in the world can cope

Don't reply am not interested in what you have to say

BUT I DONT AGGREE WITH YOU THAT 40 million cameras still in use today can't do the job

yes we are all best moving to hikvision

Nothing else in the world can cope

Don't reply am not interested in what you have to say

BUT I DONT AGGREE WITH YOU THAT 40 million cameras still in use today can't do the job

Dont tell me what to do I will reply when and how I want! I NEVER mention ONLY going with hikvision. My point was going at the minimum 720p which is DOUBLE the resolution of 960h. You make an error in fact when you stated 720p cameras can be used with 960h DVR which is NOT the case. Makes me question your competence.

960h is NOT suitable for 2015 just like CRT monitors are no longer produced or installed for the mainstream. There are new systems and new techniques. Low resolution systems like 960h require MORE cameras to cover the same area and a tighter FOV to get a decent image. Its simply mathematics. I dont see how you can justify installing 960h systems in 2015.

No I never made a mistake Like I said most 960 units will now also take 720 AHD like hik and dahua or all my stock is useless

Everyone is a beginner in your eyes

Yes I know what 720 is I know what 960 is I know what analog is

I have just sold 15 dahua 12mp ptz cameras I know the trade

Yes your right 960h is nothing like MP res but it can still work it's still sold it still can be attached to ANPR IT STILL WORKS OF FACE RECONISTION . BUT TO SAY ITS NO GOOD OR CRAP OR USELESS Is a stupid statement

No I never made a mistake Like I said most 960 units will now also take 720 AHD like hik and dahua or all my stock is useless

Everyone is a beginner in your eyes

Yes I know what 720 is I know what 960 is I know what analog is

I have just sold 15 dahua 12mp ptz cameras I know the trade

Yes your right 960h is nothing like MP res but it can still work it's still sold it still can be attached to ANPR IT STILL WORKS OF FACE RECONISTION . BUT TO SAY ITS NO GOOD OR CRAP OR USELESS Is a stupid statement

Please show me a single dahua 960h dvr that also supports AHD. Just one. Moreover even if it did exist, you didnt say anything about using 720p cameras. Your 960h stock is useless and you should be ashamed of yourself for unloading it on unsuspecting costumers. The OP was not looking for an LPR camera or for a PTZ. 960h is a terrible recommendation and should simply NOT be used.

Like I said am not fighting

BUT READ. My first post read it twice and see what I recommend

But if the budget does not allow then 960 is second best

Like I said am not fighting

BUT READ. My first post read it twice and see what I recommend

But if the budget does not allow then 960 is second best

Why is 960h second best to ip? The budget does allow for 1080p.

Thanks guys for the replies and information.

Sounds like the best option is to build a system using a 1080P nvr, and add cameras as I can.

Suggestions for a good quality, 8 channel NVR that will support POE/1080P?

Thanks again

Pete

Thanks guys for the replies and information.

Sounds like the best option is to build a system using a 1080P nvr, and add cameras as I can.

Suggestions for a good quality, 8 channel NVR that will support POE/1080P?

Thanks again

Pete

Hi. Yes that is your best option and build over time

I would start by looking at H265 NVRs that way it will last a few years and be ready for 4K TVs

As usual, we need to know your budget with or without cameras before we can recommend.

With an all-in-one NVR, you need to invest in all the channels up front as most are not upgradeable channel wise.

Some NVRs have room for additional hard drives internally and externally for more storage.

The easiest solution is to start off with a packaged 8 channel all-in-one solution IP/POE system with 4 cameras and add more cameras in the future as required...